2. Amelia Edwards

"Her name is Amelia." John provided. "Amelia Edwards."

"And how do you know that?" The lady behind the desk asked.

"We're neighbors. And coworkers."

"I see." The woman sighed.

Half an hour later they were sitting in a room dividing patients by curtains. John was sitting on a guest chair and she was lying on the patient bed with her eyes closed.

She sat up and leaned her weight into her elbows, looking at him. "John, I can't thank you enough for everything you've done for me but you really don't have to stay here."

"I'm not going to just leave you alone."

"But it's getting late and I'm sure you want to go home. I'm not your responsibility."

"It's fine, I don't have anything I have to be doing right now, anyway. And besides, I know more about yourself than you do right now. So I want to be here if they ask any questions."

She sighed and laid back down onto the bed, crossing her forearm over her eyes. "I can't believe this is happening. Do you think I was mugged?"

"Mugged?" He asked.

"You know, robbed. I mean, who doesn't at least have a phone on them. Or house keys. Anything."

"Hmmm. Good point." He thought for a moment before adding. "I guess we'll have to figure out a way to get into your house, then."

"Ugh." She groaned. "This is a lot to figure out."

"We'll figure it out. Don't worry."

"We?" She sat up fully this time and closed her eyes while her head adjusted before opening them again. "You've done so much already."

Before he had a chance to respond, the door opened and a doctor walked in, followed by two police officers.

"What's going on?" John asked.

"Given the injury and her lack of any personal effects there's a chance there was foul play. Standard procedure for us to notify the police."

They both nodded in understanding and then waited for the doctor to continue. "I took a look at your CT scan and I don't see any cause for concern. So other than getting that gash on your head glued up, you just have to give all your cuts and bruises time to heal."

"And my memory?"

"Since there's no sign of damage in your scan, your memory should come back on its own. There's no specific time frame, it's different for everyone. The best thing you can do is surround yourself with familiar things, people, and activities that might help some of your memories pop back into your mind."

"I know you said the timing is different for everyone but is there an average or at what point should I be concerned?" She asked.

The doctor sighed as he leaned against the counter and crossed his arms. "It can come all at once or it can come in patches over time. That being said, it could happen any minute. It may come back as soon as you get home and into a familiar space. Or it can last for several weeks or potentially a few months."

"A few months?!" Her and John said at the same time.

"I'm sorry, are you her husband?" The doctor asked as he turned to John.

"No, I'm her neighbor and coworker. I found her on the street near our house."

"Ah ok. Does she have any family or next of kin we can notify? She will likely need considerable assistance until her memory returns."