13. The Block Party

Author's Note:

Watch the video above to see the science project Sarah demonstrates!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, we take this copper wire and these pliers and bend them so on one end we have a corkscrew shape. It just needs to make a couple of loops, but they need to be just slightly bigger than the size of this double A battery."

A couple minutes later, and a few more onlookers having joined her, she was watching as Sarah had finished bending her copper dancer figurine and began to assemble it with the button magnets and battery.

"Now." Sarah continued. "As soon as we connect our wire to these magnets that are sitting on the bottom of our battery..." She spoke as she connected them. "And also attached our dancer top to the top of the battery... the connection will cause a reaction that causes the wire to spin and..." The crowd cheered as the dancer figurine began to twirl on top of the battery.

Sarah smiled and thanked the crowd for their applause.

"That's amazing Sarah. Good luck today, I'm sure you'll raise plenty of money for your competition." She said as she put a dollar bill in the jar. She would make it a point to give more after she figured out her financial situation.

"Thank you Miss Edwards. Have a fun day!" Sarah called out before turning to speak with another guest.

Back to exploring, she continued snapping pictures as she went. "Excuse me, do you mind if I take a picture of you and your son? This is so adorable."

"Are you with one of the schools?" The father asked.

"Yes, I teach math at the high school. I'm Ms. Edwards." She reached out her hand and the man shook it. "Not that I'm the official photographer or anything, this is just a hobby of mine. But if any of them turn out good, I figured I can give them to the PTA if they can use them for any reason. But if you're uncomfortable, I can get one without his face. Would that work?"

"Oh, then yeah that's fine." He turned to his toddler son, who was playing in a big pile of dried corn with construction toys and trucks. "Ethan, tell the nice lady what this is."

"Dis Fah Duck." The boy said and both the adults laughed.

"That is too cute." She said as she snapped pictures and then showed them to the dad.

"Woah, those are really good. I wouldn't have thought to do those angles you got to avoid getting his face in the photos. But they don't even look cut off like I was expecting."

"Yeah, just the right amount of side angle or above angle so you can still see a child playing but can't tell who they are. These are great. Thank you for letting me take them."

"Yeah, no problem."

"Have fun Ethan!"

"Byeeee" The boy called out and she chuckled as she continued moseying through the field.

She found some teens doing jump rope tricks and started taking their photos and some videos.

"Hey, Miss Edwards!" A boy that was holding one end of a long rope called out as a younger child jumped in the middle. Suddenly she was being hailed with several greetings and cheery smiles from students.

"Hi Everyone." She smiled as she continued snapping pictures. "Keep having fun, don't mind me."

"You seem to be pretty popular with the students." She turned to find John walking up beside her.