3. First Step Forward

"How did you sleep?" John asked her the next morning.

"Like a rock." She chuckled as she joined him in the kitchen, already dressed back into her own clothes.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like I got run over by a bus." She chuckled. "But I imagine that would have left more of a mark.

He nodded and smiled. "Most likely." He turned and held up his coffee for her to see. "Coffee?"

"Do you have any tea?" She asked as she sat on the stool at his breakfast bar and rubbed her forehead.

"Yeah I have a couple options I think. Let me see." He turned and opened a cabinet to peruse through. "Not a coffee drinker?"

"I don't know, it just doesn't sound great this morning. But tea does. Maybe because I need more calm instead of making my brain more hyper and stressed than it already is."

"That makes sense." He turned and pulled a box down and sat it in front of her to look through her options. "I made scrambled eggs and toast. I hope that's okay."

"That sounds perfect. Thank you." she said as she pulled out a bag of tea. "This one looks good." While they ate, she commented "I noticed you had some interesting decor throughout your house."

"Oh, the souvenirs?" He looked up from his plate.

"Yeah, looks like you have pieces from all over the U.S."

He nodded as he swallowed his food. "Yeah, I like to travel somewhere new each year during summer break. Most of my trips have been to our national parks, but I've gone to Mexico and Canada as well. I like to bring home pieces I find interesting or that will remind me of the place."

"That sounds amazing. Where are you going this year?"

"I actually haven't planned a trip this year."

"Oh?" She asked in surprise.

He shrugged. "My dad had a heart attack a few months ago and I just wanted to stay close, I guess. I could still go somewhere closer to here, but nothing really grabbed my attention yet."

"I see. How is your dad now?"

"They said he's all good now, although he has to eat a heart healthy diet. And he would be upset if he knew I didn't go on a trip because I was worried about him."

"Your secret is safe with me." She did a motion to show her closing a zipper over her lips.

"Thanks, I appreciate that." He smiled.

A few minutes later they had finished eating and she was washing off their plates in the sink.

"You didn't need to do that." He said as he came back in the kitchen after having changed out of his pajamas.

"It's the least I could do." She offered him a shy smile before turning back to the sink.

"Okay then, I'll dry." He said as he grabbed a kitchen towel and stood beside her. Soon they had everything washed and put away. "Are you ready to go check out your house?"

"I guess as ready as I'll ever be." She said as she drew in a tense breath.

"Hey." He said while placing a hand on her shoulder. "There's no need to feel nervous or worry. One step at a time, okay?"

She nodded timidly in response.

Once outside, they walked the short steps next door to stand in front of her house, where she just stood staring at it. "I was hoping seeing it in the full daylight after a good night's sleep would help me remember."