iv.

The weekend rolled around, and a big thunderstorm was to roll in that Sunday evening. Emma jumped with joy as she pulled her curly blonde hair through the loop on the back of her hat. Her family had gone all out and were ready to start playing as soon as Bella and Edward got there. Emmett's familiar white Jeep pulled up to the field, the entire bottom muddy as Emma and Rosalie played around with their bats. It didn't take long for the pair to step out and Esme immediately swooped in. "Bella, I'm glad you're here. We need an umpire." Esme pulled the human way from Edward and through the family as they messed around. "She thinks we cheat." Emmet joked with the girl, a wide smile on his face. "You do cheat!" Emma glared at the man who helped raise her. "Call them as you seen them, Bella." Esme gave Bella's shoulders a small squeeze as the teams began to set up. "It's time." Alice called out just as lightning struck nearby. Emma stood on the mound, winding up to pitch on the field as her mother playfully glared at her, winding up to hit.

Emma grinned at the loud cracking sound that followed her pitch to her mother, Rosalie hitting the ball just at the perfect moment, one more second and she would've missed. Edward bolted into the trees after the swirling ball and Emma waited impatiently as her mother hit third base. Just as Rosalie was about to make a homerun, the ball came whirling through the trees and into Esme's awaiting hands. Esme's foot hit the base moments before Rosalie's and a grin graced Emma's face as Bella called the blonde out. Emma and Emmett high fived as Emmett whooped in excitement, Rosalie glaring at the two. "Babe, come on, it's just a game." Emmett teased Rosalie as she turned her glare to Bella, the honorary umpire. Carlisle stepped up to bat next as Emma focused all her energy on sending a curve ball toward the man, only for him the hit it anyway. Luckily enough, Emma managed to lessen Carlisle's power as Emmett and Edward both leaped into the air for the ball. Emma glared at the pair as they clashed into each other mid-ai and Carlisle made it safely to second base. Emma continued to pitch for a while before she switched out with Alice, wanting to save some strength for hitting.

Alice pitched the next ball and Jasper went to run as he swung hard, sending the ball into the woods again. Emmett and Edward moved to chase the ball, but Alice called the family to a halt. Edward seemed to have read Alice's mind, and the family immediately ran over to their vehicles, Edward joining Bella's side. "They were leaving, then they heard us." Alice explained to the group. "Let's go." Edward gently grabbed Bella's arm, but Emma could already hear the sound of leaves crunching. "It's too late." Carlisle warned and Edward hesitantly stopped. "Get your hair down." Edward instructed Bella and she immediately pulled out her hair tie. "Like that'll help, I can smell her across the field." Rosalie scoffed as the Coven moved into a position that mostly covered the human girl. Out of the fog came a set of 3 vampires, two men and a woman. Emma took notice of the woman's bright orange hair and the one man's sharp red eyes. "I believe this belongs to you." the man in the middle, with dreads, he lifted up the missing baseball, throwing it right to Carlisle. "Thank you." Carlisle remained civil as he took the ball back. "I am Laurent." the dark-skinned man introduced himself politely. "And this is Victoria and James." Laurent introduced the other two. Emma didn't like the way James was scanning over her family, especially when his eyes met hers. "I'm Carlisle, this is my family." Emma shuddered as Carlisle introduced himself. "Hello." Laurent greeted politely and Emma shifted closer to her mother when James titled his head at her. "I'm afraid your hunting activities have caused something of a mess for us." Carlisle tried to be polite to the nomads.

"Our apologies, we didn't realize the territory had been claimed." Laurent seemed to take notice of the tension but tried to remain civil. "Yes, well, we maintain a permanent residence nearby." Carlisle explained as James moved his stare to Edward and Bella, the family all taking notice of the man's intense stare. "Really?" Laurent tried to cover up his amusement, suddenly taking notice of James' stare. "Well, we won't be a problem anymore, we were just passing through." Laurent realized that he was being set as a threat. "The humans were tracking us, but we led them east. You should be safe." Victoria spoke up, her tone laced with a small taunt. "Excellent." Carlisle smiled tightly at the three. "So, could you use three more players?" Laurent asked innocently, causing the Cullens to tense. "Oh, come on. Just one game." Laurent smiled at the family. "Sure, why not?" Carlisle unsquared his shoulders. "A few of us were leaving, you could take their place." Carlisle glanced back at Emma and the couple. "We'll bat first." Carlisle threw the ball back to the nomads. "I'm the one with the wicked curveball." Victoria caught the ball in front of Laurent's face. "Oh, well, I think we can handle that." Jasper smirked in the woman's direction as Emmet let out a booming laugh. The tension seemed to die down and the only ones hesitant to back down were James and Edward. Rosalie ushered her daughter to her Jeep as she didn't like the way James had previously looked at her. James finally turned from his stare down with Edward as a gush of wind whipped through the open field, sending Bella's scent right to him.

"You brought a snack." James grinned as the family immediately moved to cover Bella as Edward dropped down to a protective stance. Edward let out a snarl as Laurent and Victoria turned back again. "A human?" Laurent lilted his head in curiosity. "The girl is with us, I think it best if you leave." Carlisle warned as the two nomads now faced off with Rosalie and Edward. "I can see the game is over. We'll go now." Laurent put his arms up in surrender, but James and Edward kept a sharp gaze on one another. "James." Laurent warned the nomad as the blonde stood up. Emma watched the trio as they turned and left, Victoria and James wrapping one another in their arms. "Get Bella out of here. Go." Carlisle demanded as he turned Edward around and toward Emmett's Jeep. Emma watched from her own Jeep as Edward quickly shoved Bella in the passenger side. Rosalie opened the passenger door, Emmett popping into the backseat of her Jeep. "Emma, we need to get you home too." Rosalie glanced back at the now empty field, still caught up on James' stare. Emma nodded quietly and turned her vehicle on, taking off for the house.

__

Emma was sitting in the living room, her mother by her side as Carlisle talked to Laurent in his office. Rosalie was concerned that James had picked out the irregularity of her scent and hadn't left Emma's side. Emma's scent had always been different as some of her own blood still pumped through her veins. According to Laurent, James's gift was that of a skilled tracker and there was no telling what the man could do. The sound of the front door opening alerted Emma as Edward and Bella entered just as Laurent stepped out of Carlisle's office. "Wait." Carlisle stopped Edward from attacking the nomad. "He came to warn us about James." Carlisle kept the room civil. "This isn't my fight and I've grown tired of his games, but he's got unparalleled sense, absolutely lethal. I've never seen anything like him in my 300 years. And the woman, Victoria, don't underestimate her." Laurent gave his final warning before leaving the Cullen residence.

"Come on." Rose spoke urged her daughter to the garage as the family drew up a game plan. "I've had to fight our kind before. We're not easy to kill." Carlisle explained his plan. "But not impossible." Emmett butted in as he kept Emma close to him. "We'll tear him apart and burn the pieces." Emmett opened the drawers in the garage, looking for something. "I don't relish the thought of killing another creature, even a sadistic one like James." Carlisle sighed as he gathered his own things from storage. "What if he kills one of us first?" Rosalie questioned as she took over watching Emma. "I'm going to run Bella south." Edward ignored Rosalie's concern. "Can you lead the tracker away from here?" Edward looked to his family for help. "No, Edward. James knows you would never leave Bella. He'll follow you." Carlisle shut down Edward's plan of escape.

"I'll go with Bella. Jasper and I will drive her south. I'll keep her safe, Edward." Alice offered as she took a step closer to the couple. "Can you keep your thoughts to yourself?" Edward was hesitant to let the woman who had visions care for Bella. "Yes." Alice rolled her eyes as she grabbed Bella's hand and pulled her away from Edward. "Rosalie, Esme, could you put these on so the tracker will pick up Bella's scent?" Edwards asked as he pulled a few of Bella's jackets from a bag. "Why? What is she to me?" Rosalie locked her jaw as she starred at Edward, angry for the danger he was putting them in. Emma bit her lip at her mom's attitude, understanding her anger but thinking she was being a little abrasive. "Rosalie, Bella is with Edward. She is a part of this family now, and we protect our family." Carlisle scolded Rosalie, holding the jacket out for her. Rosalie hesitantly took the jacket and moved to take Emmett's Jeep. Emmett was taking Emma out of town in case James had indeed picked up her scent and changed targets. "Emmett, keep Emma by your side at all times." Rose spoke up as she watched her daughter and mate enter the vehicle. "Always." Emmett promised as he kissed his wife before starting the vehicle and speeding out of the driveway.

The EdgeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara