Field of flames

By the time every first-year is either up the Gauntlet or dead, morning has passed into after-noon. Even with our penalties we got eleventh place in the squad evaluations. I got second overall time, beaten by the one and only Liam Mairi. He keeps fucking everything up. I wanted to win that first fight, I wanted that gauntlet patch. A range of emotions sweep through me as we make our way towards the valley. It's clad in shades of orange, red, and yellow as autumn approaches. We stand at the entrance of the valley waiting for our turn, and we can see the dragons lined up along the path to judge us, to scorch us if they choose to do so.

"Let's go, second squad, you're up next," Garrick says, beckoning us with a wave, making his rebellion relic gleam. I'm reminded once again of the boy who's beat me one too many times.

"Into formation," he orders, his tone all serious. Garrick is definitely a mission first, niceties last type of person. It makes sense when it's what you need to do to prove yourself, showing you won't follow in your parents footsteps.

His eyes skim over us. "Hopefully Aetos has done his job, so you know that it's a straight walk down the meadow. I'd recommend staying at least seven feet apart-"

"In case one of us gets torched," Ridoc mutters from beside me.

"Correct, Ridoc. Cluster if you want, just know if a dragon finds disfavour with one of you, it's likely to burn the whole lot to weed one out," Garrick warns. "Also, remember you're not here to approach them, and if they do you won't be making it back to the dormitory tonight."

"Can I ask a question?" Luca says from the front row.

Garrick nods, ticking his jaw, signalling his annoyance. Can't blame him, she's annoying as fuck and puts everyone down. Safe to say she has almost no friends because of it.

" Third squad, tail sections of Fourth wing already went through, and I talked to some of the cadets..."

"That's not a question." He lifts his brows.

"Right, it's just that they said there's a feathertail?" Her voice pitches upwards.

"A f-feathertail?" Tynan sputters from beside me. I roll my eyes.

'Professor Kaori never told us there would be a feathertail," Sawyer quips. "I know because I memorised every single dragon he showed us. All hundred of them."

"Well, guess there's a hundred and one now," Garrick replies, looking eager to be rid of us. "Relax feathertails don't bond. I can't even remember the last time one has been seen outside the Vale. It's probably just curious. You're up, stay on the path. You walk up, you wait for the entire squad, you walk back down. It really doesn't get any easier than this from here on out, kids, so if you can't follow those simple instructions, then you deserve whatever happens in there." He turns and heads over to a path before the canyon wall where the dragons are perched. We follow breaking away from the crowd of first-years.

"They're all yours," Garrick says to the quadrant's senior wingleader. I see her about quite often and we've talked a few times before. Her signature spikes on her shoulders are even more spikey today making her look extra badass. I give her a smile which she returns.

"Single file." she nods.

We shuffle into a line. Tynan is behind me and Ridoc is in front of me.

"Talk," The wingleader says.

"Nice day for a Presentation," Ridoc jokes.

"Not to me." She says, casting a scornful glance at him. "Talk to your nearby squadmates while you're on the path, as it will help the dragons get a sense of who you are and how well you play with others. There's a correlation between bonded cadets and level of chatter. Feel free to look at the dragons, especially if they're showing off their tails, but I would abstain from eye contact if you value your life. If you come across a scorch mark, just make sure nothing is currently on fire before continuing along." She pauses giving the advice time to sink in. "Enjoy your stroll." She adds before moving to the side, revealing the dirt path that leads through the centre of the valley, and up ahead, sitting so perfectly still that they might be gargoyles, are the hundred and one dragons who have decided to bond this year.