Liaison

I run my hand along Ridoc's back as he's throwing up his breakfast at the base of a tree. I would be doing the same if I hadn't opted to skip breakfast, and dinner. I only ate lunch yesterday because Ridoc had practically forced it into my mouth.

"I bet you wish you had listened to me at this moment." I say to him, he flips me off as he continue to grip the tree and spew out the contents of his stomach

October first, Threshing.

"Remember to listen here," Professor Kaori says from in front. All of the surviving first years are here. "If a dragon has already selected you, they'll be calling." He thumps at his chest. " So if you pay close attention to not just your surroundings but your feelings, listen to them." He grimaces. "And if your feelings are telling you to go in the other direction...listen to that too."

"Hey, are we good to go?" Sawyer asks, coming over to us. I shrug my shoulders in response and look down at Ridoc who isn't throwing up anymore, but is still bent over, leaning against the tree.

"Yeah,great, let's go." He wheezes as he presses up.

We can hear professor Kaori arguing with someone as we approach. "If you go in groups, you're more likely to be incinerated than bonded, the scribes have run the statistics. You're better off on your own."

"And what if we aren't chosen by diner?" A man with a short beard asks.

"If you're not chosen by nightfall, there's a problem," Kaori responds. "You'll be brought out by a professor or a senior leadership, so don't give up and think we've forgotten about you." He checks his pocket watch. "Remember to spread out and use every foot of this valley to your advantage. It's nine, which means they should be flying in any minute now. The only other words I have for you are 'good luck." He nods, sweeping his gaze over the crowd. Then he leaves, marching up the hill to our right and disappearing into the trees.

"Be careful." Rhiannon says, pulling Violet into a hug.

"You too." Violet responds.

"Don't die," Ridoc orders her. And then she's off. "That goes for you guys too." He says turning to us, pulling each of us into a hug.

"Right back at you. I'll kill you if you die." I squeeze his ribs hard. Then he walks off. I look over to Sawyer beside me and I can see the worry in his face. He may not talk about it but I can see he's scared he'll be left unbonded again.

"Hey, if anyone deserves to have a dragon it's you. I can't count the times I would have died without you, that goes for everyone in the squad."

"I hope so." Is all he can say as he looks out at the field.

"I don't hope so Sawyer. I know so." I squeeze his arm then push him forwards.

"Thanks, Saeri." He whispers, then turns slowly and starts walking away.

I run my palms along my daggers attached to my thighs, then lean down to tie my boots. I'm stalling, I know it, but I'm scared.

...

A chilly breeze rushes past me as I make my way through the towering trees. I'm yet to come across a dragon. I'm starting to second guess my choice of walking through the woods. At this point I don't even know where I am and I can barely see through the lush canopy. My hand brushes against some moss growing on the trunk of a tree and I stumble my way across the piled rocks. It seems that I'm at the base of a mountain, the ground has started to angle upwards. I can't decide where to go. The feeling that professor kaori mentioned is nowhere to be found.

I let out a shout of frustration and kick at the base of a tree.

" I don't fucking know!"

I'm starting to get agitated and I'm afraid I'll make a brash decision in the heat of the moment. I sigh and sit down on a larger rock and begin taking deep breaths. What I'd like to do right now is break down and cry. The woods give a very comforting atmosphere for that, all alone, no one to judge, no one to call me weak for it. But that's the thing. I don't know if I'm alone, there might be a dragon who will char me on the spot for being so weak, or another cadet lurking in the bushes . I opt to rake my finger through my hair instead. I had to cut it to my chin because the ends of it got burnt when a dragon blasted Luca, but I think it suits me quite nicely. I grab the band from my wrist and tie part of my hair up, getting it out of my face, allowing me to concentrate. I stand and go through my options. If I continue walking through the forest I'll probably be wandering in here till nightfall and there may not be any dragons in here at all. I sigh then make my way towards the incline. If I go upwards I'll at least be able to see where the end of the forest is so I can get out of here.