Beyond the Shield

She sat atop Rissik, once upon a time the most fearsome of Forician's and stared at the shield that hid the island from her. She could feel the power beyond it, feel it thrumming on the horizon. It teased her, her mount shared the emotion and didn't like being kept from it, having it so close, only to be separated by a magic curtain. Rissik growled in frustration and a wave blasted from his mouth, cresting high and smashing right through that barrier. She closed her eyes and wrestled with the consciouses that tangled with her own. So many this time, but they were a confused mass of stray thoughts and cravings. The Forician's were still small, merely shadows in the water. No larger than a shark. But they were desperate now. "Go now children, go with the purpose of destroying those who keep us out, those who deny us, feed, devour their magic. Rip them to shreds. Tear down the shield and give us passage."

Rissik roared and the shapes moved in response. Speeding towards the shield with no fear, and she hated to admit it, but no direction either. Not one had even responded. The beasts were young. But if they got any bigger, or were any wiser, the shield would decimate them, even now, some wouldn't —

They sizzled and Rissik echoed her scream, beast, and rider, one mind, one heart, they watched as the water blackened with the blood of their young.

Some made it through, a lot more than any other gathering. A force that would not follow any instructions. Would not seek out and destroy those whose magic barred them from their true home, from the food that sustained them, the food that had been stolen. No, these were simply a reminder that they were still here, still waiting. A stampede of savage creatures lusting for blood. Still, it was a small hope. And it was all they had.

"Let's leave Rissik," she sent her command along her conscience and the beast responded by diving into the waters. But before they could get out of range a voice reached their combined senses.

"I made it!"

Gaezel was the youngest, her brain hadn't even developed - it shouldn't, yet here she was speaking to their minds. It was impossible.

Miracle, Rissik couldn't elaborate.

"I know what to do. I'll get it done."

Then she was gone. Rissik released a deep note that swelled through the ocean and sounded a lot like hope. Sundria let the ocean wash over her, her true form emerging, but it was difficult to hold it, and it would only get harder. Until... she clamped down on the thought.

Rissik bowed his great head in response.

She rolled off his back and shot passed him. "We're going to the others Rissik," she ordered, "we need to ready the Force."

If there was a chance the bloodlust didn't grip Gaezel she would have to take it. She couldn't be somewhere else when the shields went down. Not again.

"Food?" It was all Rissik could manage, she could hear the fear in his voice as he asked for permission, but it was more than that. It would — was already happening to her. Time was short.

"Go to Zandok but be quick."

He rolled left and then the bulky beast shot out of the water arcing towards the home of the great flock. She watched his body, it was no more than a giant mound of purplish flesh, with a gaping hole of razor-sharp teeth. She almost screamed in agony; how weak they had become?

Rissik was once a creature of lithe muscle and intelligence, he shone with neon purples, sparkling blues, and light pinks. She could only pray Gaezel was successful.

"I won't be long mistress." It was no more than an emotion, an explanation.

She sensed a hint of embarrassment as he left, the idea of showing the others what he'd become made him uneasy. But she didn't show any pity, it would only anger him. And when all you had left was your emotions, he was difficult to control if he got into a rage.

"No," she said to no one but herself, "it couldn't be long now."

They didn't have time for it to be...