Plans & Discoveries Part Three

The king knew there was more to it than his captain was letting on. He could've picked the thoughts from her mind, hell he could've retraced her whole existence, but he'd long since sworn not to use those abilities. The mind was sacred, and memories were ones only haven, only to be shared if they deemed another worthy, so, he sat and listened. The ideas of people competing with stones didn't really worry him as much as the notion that there was someone selling them. The way Shaylar explained sounded a lot like those competing had control over the abilities or knew the risks of using and had determined it was worth it. But others... they would become addicts and then slowly die because there would be no one willing to tell them the secret of how to use the stones properly. It would be a slow and horrible death, dead from the inside out. The pain was apparently appalling, and because it was addictive, they wouldn't be able to stop until it was too late...

That was his major concern.

"Are you listening to me Erya?" The captain cut across his thoughts.

He nodded. "Yes sorry, you have no need to worry about the tournament."

"Really," he elaborated when she arched a green eye in disbelief, "I have would never put anyone at risk Shè, you know that. The first challenge is going up against a Forician and killing it, those who have signed up know what they're getting into."

"Fair enough," she stated, "most of the competitors will run away at first sight."

He nodded. Those who had never encountered a Forician would flee at first glimpse. They were truly disgusting, a monster that couldn't be described by another in words...

"But those that do make it?"

"Will be given every chance."

"So, you plan on..."

"Yes," he said quickly noticing Shakur in his peripherals. It creeped him out that the zealot still looked exactly the same as he had when he was a boy. He didn't age, never got sick and wouldn't share the secret as to how.

"High priest, I was just about to send for you."

Shakur looked anything but pleased at being summoned by his king, or he was just put out that he hadn't heard Erya's plans.

"What do you need Erya?"

Erya chose to ignore the barb. "The Gift-stones are not being stolen as we thought but sold at the Festiva; a whole market of different abilities handed out to Aradian's. I assumed you would want to know, so you could investigate with the mines."

The High priest was in charge of all stones in Kava, the mining, storing and small quantities that saw any light at all. So, the thinly veiled suspicion wasn't missed.

"I will be sure to look into it."

Erya nodded, but he had got all the reaction he needed. There was something going on, and Shakur was involved. Deeply involved. But he didn't say anything more, accusing him could only push him ahead with his plans, whatever, they were. Besides, right now, he needed time. He needed the tournament to make his decision.

When his thoughts cleared, Shakur was still standing there. "What can I do for you High priest?"

"The dinner, it has begun, the people are waiting."

Erya nodded, noticing the displeasure in Shakur's slanted eyes. He hated having to play the role of slave. But Erya would not allow anyone to wait on him. It was not fair to ask one to serve another in such a manner.

"I will be there in a minute, let me just finish up with the captain."

The silence stretched for a few awkward seconds until the High priest realised, he was being dismissed. Erya watched him debate saying something before he grunted and then departed, slamming the heavy wooden door behind him, and no doubt his ear was already against it before it closed.