Merran And Captain

Merran was still thinking about what would happen in Kava; if Kaijan's rift worsened with Siva and the Sulphite used his stones against the Dhariyian. It would be slaughter. She gritted her teeth, again the king was asking too much.

Too much of them and too much of her. But she had no choice but to try, to find some way of keeping the peace. She wasn't used to the role, Temis was calmer than low tide, however, what she was a people's person. She could read the situation and adapt to handle the person in the best possible way. And she did have an idea of where to begin. It would be as easy as —

"Merran." Shè had been waiting outside the door, probably to ambush her.

She was about to walk away when it occurred to her if she couldn't find it in her to mend one relationship. How could she expect others to, especially, competing against one another.

No, they would use this against her if she attempted to lecture them, she'd have no leg to stand on. And now that she thought about it, she didn't have that with Shè. She had just used her anger to batter the pain aside.

"Shè," her voice was dry and raspy, and tears came to her eyes. She took a deep breath, but it didn't help. Merran had missed her so much, pushing her aside. Putting the blame on her the way she had — and the captain had born it all without retaliation as if she were guilty or worse, knew exactly what Merran needed.

With that thought the tears flowed. "I'm so sorry Shayla," she sobbed.

And the captain, the kindhearted, amazing woman didn't miss a beat, she simply stepped in and wrapped her strong arms around her shaking frame. "It's okay Mer, it's over now."

Merran tried to stop, but it was too much. "I took it out on you, it wasn't fair. It wasn't your fault."

Shè didn't let her go. "I assumed you needed someone to blame to brunt the pain, but it had gone on for long enough, I missed you princess."

Merran choked on a sob, a teary chuckle breaking through as Shè teased her for her strict no title policy. "I would like to remind you that I outrank you, Captain."

Shè pulled away and Merran was surprised to find tears mixing in with her freckles. "Well, a princess usually outranks a Captain."

As usual she was far too quick for Merran to trade jibes with.

"Come on, let me show you your chambers princess," the captain said her freckles dancing with amusement as she realised Merran had no response.

She set off and Merran stepped into her shadow. They caught up on events that had happened, trading stories of lovers and work, Temis and Aradia and the king and the tournament. It was easy, talking to Shè had always been like that, she was at her chambers before she knew it and way before she wanted to be.

The captain of Aradia pushed open the door. "Merran, it's been great catching up, and putting what happened to bed, but I —

"You need to know what happened at Festiva."

Shè nodded, and Merran could see the fear take shape in her green eyes. The way they darted to all corners of the room, anywhere but hers, as if they could avoid seeing what she assumed would be there.

But Merran was done being angry, she had no right to be. She would thank Shè, and she would begin in a way that would show the captain far more than a pitiful wordy apology.

"How about breakfast, I'll tell you everything and see if maybe you can help me piece it together."

Shè's eyes locked onto hers, gratitude clear. "I'll meet you here in the morning."

"How about I come down to your quarters? I've missed Rueben."

She waited nervously. Rueben was ferociously loyal, and her behaviour would not go by unnoticed. "He'd love to see you."

"See you in the morning, sleep tight princess." And the captain of the guards was moving swiftly down the corridor, chuckling as she went.

Merran walked into her chambers smiling, but holding back the tears she knew the pain would bring.