Chapter Eight

The heavy oak doors of the great hall of the Tower of London groaned open, and the murmur of the gathered crowd fell to an expectant hush. Sunlight filtered weakly through the stained-glass windows, casting a multicolor light over the solemn faces of the jury. Anne Boleyn, once queen of England, now stood accused of treason, witchcraft, adultery, and incest. The air was thick with the scent of beeswax from the candles that flickered in their stands, the only light in the otherwise dim, oppressive room.

Anne walked into the hall with confidence, her head held high as she surveyed the room. Even though her situation was serious, she carried herself with dignity. She was dressed in a dark gray gown that flowed gracefully around her, and her raven-black hair was neatly covered by a simple French hood, adding a touch of royalty to her presence.

"The court will come to order," proclaimed the Lord Chancellor, Thomas Audley, his voice resonating off the stone walls.

The jury, composed of Anne's most ardent adversaries, sat with stern expressions. The Duke of Norfolk, Thomas Howard, her uncle by marriage and a man with much to gain from her downfall, eyed her with a predatory gaze. Her own father, the Earl of Wiltshire, threw his face to the side and avoided meeting her eyes, his features betraying no emotion. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Thomas Cranmer, appeared troubled, his hands tightly clasped in front of him.

Anne's brother, George Boleyn, known as Lord Rochford, along with the four other accused men, were also brought forward, their fates entwined with hers. George stood with a blend of determination and worry etched on his face, his eyes occasionally glancing towards his sister.

"You stand accused of the most heinous crimes," the Lord Chancellor began, addressing Anne directly. "How do you plead?"

"Not guilty, my lord," Anne replied, her voice steady and clear. "I have been loyal to the king, my husband, in every way."

A scoff came from the Duke of Norfolk. "Loyal? Yet, evidence has been brought before us. Witnesses claim to have seen you in compromising positions with these men, including your own brother. You have made a mockery of your marriage vows!"

Anne was quick to deny these accusations. "Witnesses bought and sold! Their words are as hollow as the hearts that bear them."

The Duke of Norfolk leaned forward, his voice a low growl. "Your sharp tongue does you no favors, Lady Anne."

Anne's gaze never wavered, her stance as regal as ever, though her fate hung by a thread.

"I am innocent of these vile accusations," she countered, her chin lifting ever so slightly. "The charges brought against me are nothing more than a fabric of lies, woven by those who seek to destroy me."

"We seek the truth, not clever retorts," The Duke of Norfolk yelled.

"Then seek it well, my lord, for in this room, it is as scarce as the king's loyalty," George Boleyn cut in. Murmurs rippled through the assembly, surprised by the audacity of the accused.

"And what of the testimony of your lady-in-waiting, Margret?" interjected Sir William Kingston, the Constable of the Tower. "She has confessed to witnessing your indiscretions."

"All false," Anne shot back, her gaze icy. "She speaks not the truth, but the words placed in her mouth by those who would see me undone."

"If actions are to be judged, then let them be judged fairly," Eleanor(Anne) continued, her tone unwavering. "I have conducted myself as Queen with nothing but loyalty to the King and to England."

A murmur rippled through the court as the first witness was called. The witness stepped forward, his face a portrait of sorrow.

"Lady Anne," he began, his voice tinged with regret, "did you not confess to me of your unhappiness with the King and your desire to see him dead?"

"You have it wrong," Eleanor retorted, her eyes locking onto his, "I spoke in moments of despair, but never did I wish harm upon His Majesty."

"But, my dear, the evidence against you is overwhelming," the Duke of Norfolk interjected. "How do you explain your close relationships with the King's enemies?"

"I have always been a loyal and faithful servant to the King, and I will not stand idly by while my reputation is dragged through the mud."

"The King himself has testified against you," the Earl of Wiltshire added. "He has seen you in intimate situations with these men, and he knows the truth of your crimes."

"My lord, I can explain that as well," Eleanor said, her voice rising in indignation. "The King and I have a mutual friend, one who has been corrupted by the Duke of Norfolk and his cohorts. They have seen to it that the King believes the worst of me, but I assure you, he is mistaken."

The jury looked at each other uncomfortably, their faces a mixture of confusion and disbelief. They knew that Anne was a clever and modest woman, but they had been told that she was a traitor.

The courtroom was filled with quiet whispers and shocked expressions. People looked at each other with hidden messages in their eyes as more and more witnesses were called out. Anne remained steadfast, defending herself with clear, passionate arguments that challenged every accusation thrown her way.

"Is it not true," the Earl of Wiltshire interjected, his voice betraying a hint of sorrow, "that you have bewitched the king with potions and spells? That you have conspired against him?"

"I have loved the king with all my heart," Anne replied, facing her father. "I have given him a daughter and would have given him sons had God willed it so. Any suggestion that I have acted against him is a slander upon my character."

The trial wore on, the hours stretching into an endless parade of accusations and rebuttals. Anne's composure never wavered, her eloquence in her own defense outshining the damning words of her accusers. Yet, the verdict seemed a foregone conclusion, the jury unmoved by the truth, their minds made up before they had even entered the hall.

As the sun began to set, casting the chamber into the gloom of impending night, the Duke of Norfolk stood. "We have heard enough. The jury shall now deliberate."

The room jurors went in to deliberate in private.

Nonetheless, the jury's verdict was as inevitable as the turning of the tides. The doors burst open after a few minutes, and the Duke of Norfolk returned with the jury, his face a mask of triumph.

Chancellor called the court to order once more. "Have you reached a verdict?" he asked the jury.

The Duke of Norfolk stood, his voice grave. "We have. We find the accused, guilty on all counts," he turned his piercing gaze toward Anne and her brother, George.

"Anne Boleyn, George Boleyn, and your co-accused, you have been found guilty of high treason against His Majesty, King Henry VIII."

A collective gasp rose from the crowd, followed by a smattering of applause from those who saw Anne's downfall as their ascent. Anne's own response was a slight narrowing of her eyes, the only sign of the fear that must have gripped her heart.

Lord Chancellor continued, "And so, it is the judgment of this court, that you shall be taken hence to the Tower Green, where you shall be executed at a time chosen by His Majesty, The King."

Trapped in the body of Anne Boleyn, Eleanor clung to a glimmer of hope, praying that Samuel Hartman and his team would devise a plan to rescue her before it was too late.