-Chapter Eighteen- Trapdoor

/he wakes up early today/ throws on a mask that will alter his face/ nobody knows his real name/ but now he just uses one he saw on a grave/

-trapdoor, twenty one pilots

"Uh... Varian?" called Rapunzel, staring up in fear as the robotic creature loomed over her.

"Fascinating!" cried Varian in excitement, and Y/n was tempted to smile. She knew he had been faking his nervous and excited demeanor all throughout the tunnels, but this seemed genuine. She was glad that it made him happy- although, considering the hostility of the automaton, now might not be the best time.

"I believe this is an automaton." he exclaimed, spinning back around to face Y/n and Rapunzel in excitement. Called it. "A-a marvel of ancient technology, really-"

The automaton raised its massive fist over Varian's head, but he didn't seem to notice as he continued to rant. "I've heard about them, but to see one in person-"

"Varian, look out!" Y/n cried. She lunged forwards and grabbed Varian's shoulders, pulling him out of the way as the metal crashed into where he was standing mere seconds ago.

He looked at her as she ran, and she didn't miss the admiration in his gaze, but she had no time to feel flustered- they needed to survive this, and they needed to fool Rapunzel.

Y/n let go of Varian's hand as they reached a safe distance from the automaton, and he turned back to her with a smirk.

"Don't worry, Y/n," he said with a smug smile, pulling two vials from his satchel and holding them together in his hand. "I've got this."

Varian ran at the automaton, staff in one hand and chemicals in the other. He skidded to a stop and let out a shout as he threw the chemicals at the plating of the automaton. They combusted on impact, creating a spectacular fiery explosion that knocked the automaton backwards. He threw another, and the machine stumbled, crashing into one of the marble pillars.

As she watched him defend the group, Y/n felt a tinge of admiration- but also jealousy. Not towards Varian specifically, but towards all of them. Even the ones that weren't here. Rapunzel, Eugene, Cassandra... all of them could defend themselves. If they were in this situation, every single one of them had some way to fight back.

But Y/n? She had nothing. Sure, she knew how to use a weapon, but in no world would she ever be permitted to be in possession of one. She had no magic, no chemicals, no tools- just her wits and a vial of Flynnoleum that couldn't even trigger by itself.

Being powerless disgusted her. While she was flattered that Varian would rush to defend her, she was the one who was supposed to protect the people she cared for- not the other way around. She despised having to sit here and do nothing, making useless observations while the only person by her side risked his life for her.

"See?" Varian called confidently. "I told ya! I got this!"

"Uh... Varian?" Rapunzel tried to warn him as the automaton raised its arm behind Varian. He turned around, but too late- the metal limb crashed into the alchemist, sending him flying across the room and into a pillar.

"Varian!" Y/n shouted, running over to where he had crumpled on the floor, kneeling next to him.

"Oh..." he groaned, pushing himself up by his arms. "Despite the excruciating pain, and the fact that I am about to pass out..." His face brightened. "The science at work here is spellbinding!"

Varian took Y/n's arm, stumbling as she pulled him to his feet. Rapunzel shouted to them from the side of the room.

"We're gonna need some kind of a plan if we're gonna defeat that thing." Rapunzel declared. Wow, think so?