The Vanity of Science

10th Rotation of En'trag

El'en phase – 2nd Galactic step

Age of Science

Scientist La'pa's Cave

G'lal Colony

Chemach

Epsilon Point

La'pa was desperate to recover his fame. It was but a single Sor ago, that he was revered as a great scientist. He had been praised by the Assembly of Glondair and recognised as a member of their fine arts. He had been awarded a steel globe on the wall of science with his image carved upon it and given a dedicated nameplate above his home that read 'Scientist.' Yet now he was forgotten.

His rise to fame may have been by accident, but nobody but La'pa knew that little secret. For if the Assembly had heard what the true intention of his greatest achievement was supposed to be, they would probably strip him of his awards and banish him from their group. They did not need to know that the device he had built was originally supposed to be an incubator to help bring Chemachie eggs to full term faster. He had hoped to address the proposed science that said eggs that were hatched at eighty degrees of warmth bore female Chemachies, and eggs that hatched at ninety degrees of warmth bore males. However, rather than gently heating the egg to the required temperature via the help of many heat panels, metal plates, and a reservoir of Cha'len'su, the device actually incinerated anything within the container into nothingness.

While this would have been disastrous if La'pa had ever tried to use it on a live egg, he had instead just been testing it on his left-over garbage and things that he deemed not to be useful at the time. It was probably quite by chance that earlier that same day, there had been an announcement from the Assembly of Glondair that they were seeking a new method of waste disposal, as the caverns of D'rek'ta were reaching overflowing levels of trash and mould. Realising that if his new creation could be installed in every Chemachie abode, it would mean that every residential cave would become net zero waste practically instantly. Therefore, La'Pa submitted his work for approval and just hid away his original designs for the incubator.

The Assembly had marvelled at the device, once of course his submission made it before the committee, which was sometime later that Sor. He had been heralded the saviour of the colony, defender of the environment and eradicator of stink. The caves of D'rek'ta were emptied and repurposed in a short time thanks to La'Pa's new incubator/incinerator. This freed up many of the refuse workers from the caverns to pursue their own scientific endeavours. Although La'pa had heard that many had been ungrateful for the change, which he could not understand at all.

The Assembly of Glondair was amazing La'pa thought, it was a much better way of governing a Colony, compared to the old Sovereigns from the Age of Honour that ruled by fear and power. While the Assembly was a lot slower at deliberating a decision than an old crowned scarlet lizardman might have been, it did achieve better results in the long term. Of course, La'pa was a bit biased towards the Assembly, for he had watched his sire La'tap fight against the old Sovereign of the G'lal Colony when he was just a young hatchling.

He had loved listening to his elders tell tales of the battles against the old Sovereign and his troops that were dedicated to the old ways of the Kali-Kastro. His own sire had sat him on his knee and told him the time that he took down three blue-scaled guards with ease. The reason for that was nothing to do with La'tap's skill as a fighter, but rather that he had in his possession a weapon called a Hai'sen. A Hai'sen worked by emitting a pulse of pinkish Cha'len'su energy that stunned an opponent, rendering them incapable of movement. The weapon was born in the infernal depths and was the key to the mutiny that followed where the old ways of honour were replaced by the ways of science. La'tap had then said, that once he had incapacitated the soldiers, he had tied them up with the ceremonial scarves that adorned their own weapons, the deadly triple bladed spears known as Talibs. It was certainly a tale that inspired La'pa, and heavily influenced his fondness for the Assembly of Glondair.