Thirty Two-Logan 🏒

Thunder cracked outside, jolting me awake. Normally I slept right through storms, but this one seemed particularly loud. I glanced down at Lillian, relieved to find that I hadn't woken her up. She still slept soundly, her brown hair draped over her shoulder and the sheets pulled up to her chin.

        A new noise; this one the creaking of the bedroom door. I frowned. My house wasn't drafty enough for doors to open on their own. Sitting up slightly, I was surprised to see Maisy standing in the doorway. Her stuffed sea otter was held to her chest, her pink nightgown rumpled. 

        "Maisy?" I whispered. "What are you doing awake? It's the middle of the night."

         "I'm scared," she said in a small voice. Beside me, Lillian stirred, slowly waking up.

         I glanced towards the window, where the raindrops were glittering against the glass. "Of the storm?" 

         Maisy nodded, her green eyes that were so similar to mine stretched wide. "It's loud," she said, on the verge of tears.

        "Come over here," I whispered. Lillian sat up, anxiously watching as Maisy ran across the room. It was hard for her to get up into the bed, but finally I was able to pull her up into my lap.

        "I'm sorry it's so loud," I murmured, holding both her and her stuffed otter close. "But it's just rain. It's not going to come inside and hurt you."

         "But it's so scary. It sounds like monsters," Maisy sniffled, a couple tears running down her face.

        "I know, Maisy-Daisy," I said, gently wiping her eyes with a tissue. "Do you want me to get you some earplugs?"

        She shook her head furiously. "It's still there."

        I understood that. Looking over her blonde hair, I looked at Lillian. She raised her eyebrows, silently asking if Maisy wanted to stay with us. I fell in love with her a little bit more for that.

        "You want to sleep with us tonight?" I asked Maisy. 

        Tearfully, she held up her otter. "Can Rainbow stay too?"

         "Of course she can," I said, shifting towards the edge so Maisy could be in the middle. Lillian adjusted the blankets before turning on the bathroom nightlight, making the bedroom just light enough to not be scarily dark.

         "I'm sorry, Uncle Logan," Maisy said as I put her little head on the extra pillow.

         My eyebrows shot up. "What are you sorry for?" I asked, confused.

         "For waking you guys up," she said, her eyes watering with another round of tears.

         "You can never be sorry for waking me up," I said sternly, pretending to be angry. "Because I love you a whole bunch. Buckets full, in fact."

         She giggled as I tickled her, finally saying, "Okay, okay."

        "Now go to sleep, sweet-pea," I said, kissing her forehead.

        "Goodnight," she murmured, half-asleep. "Goodnight, Doctor Lillian."

        "Night, Maisy," Lillian whispered, smiling. "Sweet dreams."

        I laid down, pulling the blankets up. "Goodnight, Maisy. I love you."

        She was already asleep, her arms tossed at her sides. Lillian carefully reached over and tucked Rainbow the otter just under the blanket, so it looked like the creature was sleeping. When she looked over, she asked in a soft voice, "What?"