4. A starving orphan ~ OS

Under the scorching heat of the afternoon sun, Vidya walked into the temple, the heat emanating from the stone searing through her soles. Beneath the azure sky's endless gleam, she stood at the threshold, each step forward a dance in embrace of her own sins. Her heart was plagued with a dilemma, that has weighed her ever since Abhira left the mansion one month ago.

Vidya has been hurt by the lies and the secrets, she was agonized by the betrayal of her own children but she couldn't deny that there haven't been moments when she contemplated the gravity of her actions. She did have her doubts about her reactions being out of proportion, of her being obtuse to Abhira's situation but then her anger had outgrown her rationality. However, a part of her knew she missed Abhira, her mischief and her innocent eyes, looking at her with disbelief at Vidya's support for her and a yearning, a prayer for that support to stay. And that was a memory that haunted her, Abhira's eyes, a beacon in the dark, begging for solace, pleading for respite. Abhira's silence echoes in her mind. Vidya knew their anger was justified but was it fair to push Abhira like a rag doll, question her character, when it was Armaan who brought her home, curse her dead mother who died saving her son, or throw her out when Armaan was subjected to no exile?

So here she was in front of Mata Rani, standing at the percipice of introspection, torn between conviction of her actions and the ache of uncertainty. Did she weild her hurt as a weapon to stab an innocent's heart? While she was lost in her spiral of thoughts, a sudden gust of wind, tugs the folds of the chunri in her thaali, unfolding in a graceful arc that descends upon the head of a girl, kneeling in the temple of the mighty goddess.

Vidya's hands move quickly to gather the fabric, her heart quickening with an apologetic murmur poised at her lips, yet her words falter caught in the gaze of eyes that mirror the tumult of emotions. In those eyes Vidya glimpses a kaleidoscope of feelings, raw and fleeting, swirling like leaves caught in tempest, shifting hues of vulnerability,  loneliness, pain and fear.

"Abhira...", Vidya whispered.

However Abhira was quick to stand up. "I...I didn't know you would be here...I'm sorry, I will take my leave", Abhira blabbered in haste, rubbing the tears flowing down her cheeks, her balance swaying a little.

Admist the whispering prayers and silent echoes of devotion, Vidya found herself shook by the veil of apprehension shrouding Abhira's countenance. "Abhira...I.." Vidya spoke again, her hand extending towards her tear stained cheeks. But the slight moment made Abhira flinch. Vidya tried to move forward but Abhira took a step back, almost losing her balance and falling down the temple stairs, when a man caught her.

Madhav had not expected to be greeted at the temple by her daughter almost falling unconscious in his arms. He dabbed her cheek, calling her name in concern, only to realise she was burning with high fever. He quickly scooped her up and ran towards his car, his wife following him.

"Maybe we should take her home..", Vidya suggested.

"No! My daughter won't be stepping into that house ever again. She won't enter a place where she was made to feel like a burden."

Something about Madhav's conviction, his unfaltering ease around Abhira, and the genuine concern that he wore on his face, told Vidya they had a connection she didn't know about.

"Where will we take her Madhav. We don't even know where she lives," Vidya asked.

"I do Vidya...I know where she lives. And you don't have to act like you care about her, I will manage", Madhav replied sternly.

Throughout the car ride towards Abhira's small flat, Madhav knew Vidya's questioning eyes were following him. He knew she seeked answers, if he had stayed in touch with her all this while and if yes why did he not speak to her about it or why did he not tell Armaan about it when he has been drowing in guilt?