CHAPTER SEVEN

The temple stood stoic in the rain as the wishes on the tree flipped back and forth in the wind. What had been a peaceful place met them at the gate with a downpour that relentlessly struck the world around them. Rui and Qi took cover from the rain beneath the gate, but determined spits pelted them, spiking up from the ground. He grabbed her arm and escorted her to the temple's porch, where the rain could not get them.

"Is this your doing?" she asked him.

He shook his head and brushed the beaded water from his silken robes, hitting them until they fell off. "No, this isn't me."

"What are the plans? Are we just going to stay here until it passes?" she asked him.

"We'll wait for the worst of the squall to pass, and then we can fly again."

"Is it safe?" she asked, tilting her head up and peering past the roof. Rain fell in streams, the cool water tickling her palms when she reached for it. "I don't think it'll let up soon."

"Wait here," he said. Rui nodded, still enjoying playing with the runoff. The passing dark clouds roared over the temple, weeping as it did and to the point that the wishing tree became blurred edges. The visitors had left, and the many lanterns reflected a giant star burst on the screen before her. She tried to trace the contours of the lanterns, disrupting the flow, and then caught Qilin's reflection in it.

He held a white fabric, almost sheer in color, and presented it to her. "This should protect you from the storm," he said.

Rui thanked him and then looked out at the rain again. "Qi, tell me something about you."

"What do you want to know?" he asked.

"I feel like I know very little about you, and you did avoid my question during dinner. What is it exactly that you do?"

"I guess the topic got changed," he replied, putting the back of his hand to catch his earlobe between his knuckles. "I find the truth mostly, usually in counseling others or observing trials, and sometimes I tutor students."

"From the way everyone looks at you, you're well respected. Have you come to a conclusion about me then? Am I a demon?"

He straightened his posture and turned to evaluate her. However, he stopped, relaxing and folding his arms over his chest. His words grew slightly lower. "Would you like me to discern the truth?"

"I guess...no one is really ready to be judged," she replied quietly. "Qi," she touched his arm. "I don't know your views of demons, but my experience includes those who idolize and misconstrue the ideas. However, the thought that I would do anything to purposely hurt someone else is sickening and outright insulting. I just want you to understand that." She finished, then added, "You will know me by my love, okay?"

The rain lit up, turning both of the heads towards the lack of sound and calm afterward. "En," he said. "Let's return."

Rui nodded, waiting for Qi to go behind the wishing tree and walk from the other side as the Qilin. Her heart fluttered every time, she mused, as she approached and helped herself up to his back.

The ride home wasn't pleasant; it was cold, and the rain stung as it pelted against her face and arms; she pressed the cloak further around her and held onto Qi's long mane though the damp fur now clumped to one another. She could only hold her breath while waiting for the smooth landing and hoping to come to a stop. They were still in the air when suddenly the Qilin changed forms. He turned into a human in a ray of mist and light, leaving her to clutch her arms around his neck.

"What's wrong!" she called through the wind. He held her legs and diverted suddenly. Through the rain in front of them, she saw the sect led by an angry elder who wielded a bow of golden light. It's large arch cutting miles through the sky. Rui's heart lurched, tightening her grip, as the Qilin purposely dived to avoid the blast of light that narrowly missed her head. The afterglow of the shooting meteorite left an angry golden glow as a loud sound reverberated and shook the mountain behind them.