(BONUS) Qilin Folklore

The Qilin is a mythical creature known in various East Asian cultures, and its name and characteristics differ slightly among these cultures

Chinese Folklore (Qilin): In Chinese culture, the Qilin (麒麟, pronounced "chee-lin") is a benevolent creature, often associated with serenity, prosperity, and the arrival of a sage or illustrious ruler. It is depicted as a hybrid animal with features resembling a deer, dragon, and ox, often enveloped in flames. The Qilin is revered for its gentleness, and according to legend, it walks so softly that it does not harm the grass beneath its feet and appears only in areas ruled by a wise and benevolent leader. Its appearance is said to foretell a period of peace and prosperity.

Japanese Folklore (Kirin): In Japan, the Kirin is similarly regarded as a creature of good omens, associated with serenity and prosperity. The Japanese interpretation of the Qilin, the Kirin, is sometimes depicted more like a dragon in appearance. It's also considered one of the most sacred and noble creatures in Japanese mythology, often portrayed as more deer-like, sometimes with a dragon's head, but always with a peaceful and serene demeanor.

Korean Folklore (Girin or Kirin): In Korean culture, the creature is known as Girin (기린) or Kirin. It shares similarities with its Chinese and Japanese counterparts, symbolizing good luck, protection, and prosperity. The Korean depiction often blends features of a dragon and a peaceful herbivore animal, reflecting the creature's dual nature of power and gentleness.

Vietnamese Culture (Kỳ Lân): In Vietnamese culture, the Qilin is known as Kỳ Lân. The Vietnamese version shares many similarities with the Chinese Qilin, often depicted as a dragon-like creature with a long body covered in scales, possessing antlers or horns. The Kỳ Lân in Vietnamese folklore is a symbol of wisdom, justice, and benevolence.

In all these cultures, the Qilin (or its regional equivalent) is typically seen as a symbol of good fortune, and its appearance is a positive omen. Despite the variations in its depiction and the slight differences in its mythological attributes, the core aspects of the Qilin as a noble, benevolent, and auspicious creature remain consistent across these cultures.