𝟏𝟏

This will last exactly 180 minutes and is mandatory viewing for all citizens, both district and Capitol. As the lights dim and the seal comes onto the screen, you realize you aren't ready for this. You can't watch everyone die all over again. It was hard enough the first time round. You want to run. Run away, far away, where you don't have to see this. During the highlights, they periodically reveal the Victor's reaction in the corner of the screen. You recall the earlier years, many pumping fists in the air, smiling. The rest just looked stunned, probably feeling like you. The only thing keeping you there is Caesar, who looks at you with some pity, nodding his head as if to secretly say he's empathetic.

Whoever puts the recap together has done a great job of mushing those 5 horrible days into three hours. They have to choose the story to tell, and this year, it seems to be one of those action shows the Capitol makes, where the poor main character has to go through terrible trials to reach the end. All of that's true, just you're the villain and it's all real. They don't even show any other action, except for the careers closing in a few times. You're disappointed, as you can only feel guilty, you caused all that.

The first half an hour covers the reaping, chariot ride, training scores, and interviews. There's an upbeat instrumental in the background which makes you sick to the stomach, since almost everyone on screen is dead. Once you're in the arena, there's a too-detailed coverage of the bloodbath, mainly showing your first kill. Now you see what the audience saw: a brave, courageous hero, not the panicking 18 year old you actually were. They show Tilia jumping, and you have to look away. She did that to save Thom, and you ruined it. Izzy kept a brave face the whole time she was downstairs. They cut out the burning though. Maybe it's too rebellious to be shown.

Things really pick up when you find Rye and ally with Thom. They show a lot of your time together, eating, laughing, and just chatting. How happy you look. Then it's the earthquake, the ambush, and Rye's death. You look so downcast and guilty Caesar thinks you need a hug, and leans over, gently patting your back. The audience moans with sympathy, feeling even more pity. Then you and Thom argue. His death is shown, and you stare as the boy from 8 jumps at him with a rock, bashing his head in. Then you come on to the scene.

Finally we reach the feast. Silence fills the room, and you watch on as you stumble, and shoot Romana. You notice the tears on your cheeks as Remus dies, you didn't know you were crying until now. It's only now you realize you defied the Capitol. You screamed at them for someone you didn't even know to win in your place. That's never happened before. Will you get in trouble? No, and Gale wouldn't either, because he featured a lot in your interview. Grandmother? Maybe, but she doesn't leave the house often and you're always with her, so there won't be any 'accidents'. Therefore, you're fine.

The anthem plays again, and then he takes the stage. President Snow himself. Panem's resident snake. He's come to crown you, a little girl trailing behind him with the crown on a velvet cushion. He smiles politely when he sets it on your head, but you murmur one thing that turns that smile upside down. "Maude Ivory says hello, Corio." That hit him hard, probably no one's called him that in years.

Lots of bowing and cheering follows. Your arm is not long away from falling off from all the waving, and Caesar bids the audience goodnight, reminding them to watch your final interview tomorrow like they have a choice.

You get taken straight to the President's mansion for the Victory Banquet, where you have surprisingly little time to eat and more time taking pictures with Capitol officials and sponsors whose money wasn't even used in the arena. Face after face flashes by, becoming more and more drunk the later it gets. You've only been supplied with water, though. Sometimes, you spot Haymitch, and sometimes you get to politely smile at Snow. Both are positive, as frightening Snow is somehow satisfying. You're doing it for Lucy Gray.