𝟏𝟐

The Mellarks are your first port of call. You don't know what to say and end up staring at your feet in front of them. Eventually you choke out a single sentence. "I'm so sorry." The silence is deafening, causing a pounding in your head. The next thing you know, someone's hugging you. Lifting your head, you realize it's Peeta, the middle child. Mrs. Mellark is glaring at you, but Mr. Mellark is staring into your eyes with a warm expression on his rough features. What is that? It must be understanding. Peeta awkwardly shuffles back to his family, and you and the Mellark men nod your heads at each other, and you move on to Katniss, Prim, and Mrs. Everdeen. 

Katniss wraps her arms around you, for the first time she'd ever done that without Prim hugging you first. You've known each other since she was 5 and you were 7, you both did a duet of the Valley Song, being the best singers and the only students who knew the song in school. You could swear the birds stopped singing to listen to her that day. You'd often share some food with them when you could, and in a way, after her father's untimely end in a mining accident, you saved their lives. They'd certainly have starved if it weren't for that friendship. Since then, you've often gone with her through the fence in the mornings. You part ways there, since she goes hunting with Gale while you often go straight to the lake. But you've never really hugged, Katniss isn't really the type to touch you constantly, yet maybe almost losing you changed that for once. She pats your hair slightly before letting go, muttering "Glad you lived." Prim smiles up at you, still, and reassures you.

"He would have wanted this." You can't help but be amazed at her courage and strength, how can she still be so kind to you? In return, you crouch down and tuck in a piece of her blouse that's come untucked.

"I appreciate it, little duck." She giggles for a while, and you move on to the family you've been avoiding. The Hawthornes. 

What if he doesn't feel anything for you? What if you just put him through a whole lot of drama for nothing? No, you think, wait until he speaks for himself. You don't know yet. Hazelle, the kind-hearted woman she is, ushers her younger children out of the way for a moment so her eldest son can come forward. He speaks up first, since you can't seem to find the right thing to say. "So, Y/n, when were you going to tell me I could have just asked you straight out, hm?" A grin breaks out onto his face, and he picks you up.

He just pulled you into a hug and just hoisted you up off of the train platform, as if you're as light as a feather. After letting out a small squeal, you wrap your arms around his neck, and your legs around his waist, full koala-style. He smells like coal. That's new. Of course, at 18 all men start work in the mines after their final reaping. You could get used to it, though. Gale seems to be emotional at this point, after actually touching you, knowing for certain you are really there, alive and well. "I thought you were gonna die a few times. Don't scare me like that again." 

His Seam-gray eyes are watery, taking in your face properly. You reply quickly, assuring him "I won't. I'll stay here with you as long as I can, and once the Victory Tour's over, that'll be forever. Deal?" Gale smirks slightly, and his humor is back again.

"I think I can live with that." Of course, he goes one step further and presses his lips on yours.

The world stops. You kiss back, oblivious of the clicking, flashing cameras all around. The Capitol will have something to talk about tonight, that's for sure. His lips are chapped slightly due to the lack of shade and all the standing around without drinking anything for hours, but the kiss is still gentle, as if he's afraid you might break under too much pressure. Your insides are exploding, as if someone has just set off fireworks in your stomach. It's over soon, too soon, and you're left with an urge in your abdomen to go in for more. Gale shakes his head slightly, and helps you onto solid ground. Eyebrows furrowed in confusion, you ask. "What's wrong?" His eyes widen slightly, surprised.

🎉 You've finished reading 𝙄'𝙇𝙇 𝙎𝙀𝙇𝙇 𝙔𝙊𝙐 𝙁𝙊𝙍 𝘼 𝙎𝙊𝙉𝙂 - 𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙃𝙐𝙉𝙂𝙀𝙍 𝙂𝘼𝙈𝙀𝙎 🎉