2 people called H

Michelle

What the fuck is happening, why is my mom calling me this much? I called her back, but no one answered. I tried calling her multiple times but still, nothing. I decided to head home to check on her, the only thing I could think about was my father, what did he do this time?

I tried shaking Charles to wake him up, but he didn't, I sent him a text "I'm taking your car, I have to go home". I drove through the busy narrow streets of Monte-Carlo, I love this city, but not today, I can feel something has gone awfully wrong.

6 years ago

Wearing black was not unfamiliar to me, but today It felt different. As we got ready to attend Hervé Leclerc's funeral, Charles's father, all I could think of was Charles. Losing Jules had a toll on him, and to lose his father now after his health deteriorated is not going to be easy on him. I couldn't stay strong, I would be lying to myself if I said that I was okay, I was close to him, and he was the father that I wish I had, I miss him so much already.

After the funeral

"I can't breathe" Arthur whispered with tears in his eyes, I took him to his room, he put his head on my shoulder and immediately started sobbing, and I cried with him. I felt his pain because I also lost someone close, someone who considered me his daughter, I felt my heart burning more and more each moment as I recalled my memories with him, It all felt like an old sweet movie coming to an end when you don't want it to end.

When memories snow
And cover up the driveway
I shovel all those memories
Clear the path to drive to the store
And when memories melt
I hear them in the drainpipe
Drippin' through the downspout
As I lie awake in the dark
And if I break
Could I go on break?
Be back in my room
Writin' speeches in my head
Listenin' to the thousand hands
That clap for me in the dark
— ᵂʰᵉⁿ ᴹᵉᵐᵒʳⁱᵉˢ ˢⁿᵒʷ - ᴹⁱᵗˢᵏⁱ

It was 6 PM, Arthur was sleeping and Charles was lying next to me on his bed, "I lied to him, I hate myself" Charles wept "I told him I signed with Ferrari, and my mom was mad. I'm mad, why did I do it", I replied trying not to cry again "you did it because you wanted to make him happy, don't be hard on yourself", "still, what I did was wrong, so wrong", "but It doesn't mean that it can't be true" I said, he looked at me confused, "what do you mean?" "I mean you still can make this come true, just work so hard for it", "What if it doesn't come true?" he mumbled, "Your dad will still be very proud of you, you know that" I cupped his cheeks with my hands and wiped his tears with my thumbs, "he will always be proud of you" I assured him.

Meantime

That memory of me and Charles feels bittersweet, but it always makes me smile, he made it come true, he is driving for Scuderia Ferrari now.

I arrived home, I quickly parked the car and ran upstairs, when I got there the apartment was locked, "I don't have the key, it's in the car" I remembered, but just before I went back to the car I saw my father. He was in his pajamas and he looked hectic, I asked him what had happened, but he looked away as he was opening the door, I grabbed his hand and asked him again, "Henri is in the hospital, I tried calling you but you didn't pick up. go to the hospital, your mom is there" Before I opened my mouth he went in and closed the door.

I knew that things were bad, I'd never seen my dad like this since my grandfather passed away. I said a silent prayer and headed to the hospital.

At the hospital

To see him in this state after over 2 years of not communicating felt strange, everything was vague. "are you related to the patient?" The nurse asked, "Yes, he is my brother". My brother, It feels crazy to say it out loud, because I never thought I would say it again, ever. At this moment all I could think of was him. I prayed, for him to get better, for me not to lose him, for us to be close again. H was for Hervé, and now for Henri too.

———