SS2: Horikita Manabu - An Interesting Freshman

For the second and third years, May 1st was simply a day like any other. The students in Class A and B rejoiced at the increase in private points, while the less fortunate students in Class C and D continued their struggle. But for the first years, it was different. They would soon come to learn about the S-System. Today would be the day that their school lives would change forever.

I spent the past month surveying each of the four classes closely. Class A appeared to be doing well, despite the current power struggle for the leadership position. Class B and Class C, led by Ryuuen and Ichinose, were also in the running. I spent some time monitoring Ryuuen, who I considered to be an especially dangerous student. The remainder of my surveillance went into Class D.

Many students would be surprised as to why I would even spare a glance towards the so-called "defects" of the school. Normally I wouldn't bother with Class D, but this year's circumstances were different. One was the enrollment of Horikita Suzune, my little sister, into this school. She was placed in Class D.

Suzune was the joy of my life. She was kind and cheerful, full of energy and spirit. It's almost unimaginable that someone like her would turn into the person she is now, and yet she did.

Our parents were strict and harsh. They worked Suzune and I to the bone. They drilled us on how to set an example as "role models" in society. They demanded perfect grades. They made us train extensively to climb the dan ranking system. Every day was the same grueling routine, without fail.

But even despite that, our parents weren't bad people by any means, and I harbored no ill will towards them. They clearly wanted the best possible future for Suzune and I, which was why they pushed us so hard. They were aggressive and competitive people who hated to lose. Even after they reached the top, that lingering, burning ambition still remained. They manifested their ideals onto their own children, pushing us to become the best of the best.

I honored their wishes and excelled in every activity I did, no matter if it was academics or martial arts. They became ecstatic every time I won a competition or did well on an exam. They treated me like a golden child, a prodigy who was destined to become the future leader of Japan.

Suzune tried her best, but unfortunately her results weren't as exceptional as mine. I thought she was doing excellent, but our parents disagreed. They constantly criticized her, calling her "useless". They treated Suzune as an afterthought, someone who had no hope of ever matching up to her older brother.

Over time, our parent's constant reprimands started to take a toll on Suzune. She acted tough on the outside, but I could tell that the entire situation was starting to affect her mental health and well-being.

One night, I heard sniffling and the rustling of footsteps coming from inside Suzune's room. At this point in time, Suzune was in her final year of elementary school, and her emotional state was very unstable. I opened the door slowly, trying my best not to startle her.

I found Suzune pacing up and down, her head bent low, her hands covering her face. She was so preoccupied with her thoughts that she didn't notice me entering her room.

"Suzune. Are you alright?"

"Eeek! Nii-san!? What are you—Mmmm?"

Suzune let out a yelp of surprise upon noticing my presence. I quickly moved forward and covered her mouth, making sure she didn't accidentally wake up our parents. They were heavy sleepers, but I didn't want to take the risk.

"Calm down, Suzune. Take a deep breath and sit down. Why don't you start from the beginning and tell me what happened?"

"I-I can't. It's too embarrassing, nii-san. You would make fun of me."

"I promise I won't do anything of the sort."

"Really?"

Suzune sniffled loudly, using the sleeve of her sleepwear to wipe the tear streaks from her eyes. I stood patiently to the side as I waited for her to recompose herself.