⌊Chapter 23⌉

“Okay, the party at Black Tower is in a week,” Atlantis announced to the group gathered at Mosisnoir. She shifted her weight to one foot, crossing her arms loosely over her chest. “Which means we have got to get our shit together. Let’s start off simple,” she pointed at Jayla. “Your job?”

“Support,” Jayla answered. Atlantis moved on to Natasha.

“Distraction if Blake shows up. And general Blake psyche guru,” Natasha said. Atlantis pointed at Anthony.

“Direction and keys,” Anthony held up a key ring that he tossed to Atlantis, who caught it in her left hand. She moved on to Rich.

“Freeing Alex and getting us the fuck out of that dumpster fire,” Rich added confidently. “And you, Atlantis?”

“I will use my position in Adelmir to get us figured out,” Atlantis answered. “And we also have got to make sure we blend in. Meaning that Rich needs a whole disguise and the rest of us just have to dress nice. It’s a party, but it’s known for being formal. I’m assuming you guys have the tools for that?”

“I don’t know, I don’t really have plastic surgery tools sitting around the lab,” Rich said.

“Luckily for you, we won’t be going that far. Make-up, hair, and nice clothes can do miracles. Though you don’t seem the type to have a suit and tie lying around. I know you do, Tones, and you two are about the same size and height.”

In reality, Anthony was a little taller than Rich was, but their build was almost identical. Anthony shrugged. “Yeah, I got extras lying around somewhere. A few different colours too so whatever works.”

Rich dipped his head to the side. “Now that I think about it, I have never seen you dressed casually. Either you’re in uniform or nicer attire. Is that just your rich-rich style or is there a reason?”

“It’s a work thing. It’s like an unwritten rule that sovereign aides keep their looks clean for authoritative purposes and such. I haven’t worn anything casual in years because that ‘rule’ isn’t work-specific.”

“Of course. Not only does Blake take your guys’ will to live but also comfortable clothing? Ridiculous. He’s always been chalk-full of stupid ideas,” Rich rested his chin in his hand. “Well I guess he’s always just been stupid, plain and simple. Especially in high school. I swear that man is just the result of some drunk fever dream.”

Natasha laughed a bit. “That’s oddly specific, but you’re not wrong.”

“And then of course he hit a new low, killing his own damn family,” Rich rolled his eyes. “He always was strange. I guess I should have noticed it sooner.”

There were plenty of moments from his childhood that Rich could remember Blake showing many red flags towards his future actions. He was a violent kid, pushing around kids and threatening murder. He got in trouble multiple times for threatening other kids and their families, but as good as Aaron Black was, he was too afraid to discipline his children because he didn’t want them to hate him. On the other side of the spectrum, though, Harris was always more ‘put together’ than Blake was. It was an exciting thought of Harris becoming sovereign because he spent such a long time of his childhood helping the city and getting involved. Even now, though, Rich wasn’t fully certain on what actually made Blake snap. He pinned it down to just jealousy and power-hungry nature, but it felt like there had to be more than that.

“As much fun it is to talk shit about Blake, I’m going to turn to Anthony on the whole directions aspect,” Atlantis gestured to the aide. “I’ve been in Black Tower plenty, but I don’t know it as well as he does. Here, actually,” she fumbled around a nearby desk, finally grabbing a stack of papers out of one of the drawers. “I have this map of the tower from when I first started working, but I never used it. And, here, a red marker. If you could, Tones, showing us the best way would be amazing.”