⌊Chapter 24⌉

“We’re in trouble, Mr. Black,” Alaric said in a low voice, staring at the ground as he stood in front of Blake’s desk. Blake got to his feet and walked around next to Alaric, narrowing his dark eyes.

“Do continue,” Blake replied.

“I’ve been keeping a close eye on Private Winters. I snuck a mic into his work jacket and the recordings suggested some… serious issues,” Alaric took out a small radio, flipping it on. The office’s silence was broken with a recorded conversation including Anthony, Richard Alann, Officer Comera, Jayla Kelley, and…

“Natasha,” Blake breathed, never thinking he would hear her smooth voice again. “And… Winters,” he growled, tensing up. “Of course he’s disloyal to us, of course. I should have seen this sooner. That liar can do nothing but screw up my plans with Adelmir. This is my city, and he’s tearing it apart single handedly. This party will go on, but their plans will be thwarted. They think they have the upper hand. They don’t know anything that they’re getting themselves into.”

There was a pause of silence, and Blake shifted his harsh gaze to the rain-stained window. He shifted his weight to one foot, thinking quietly to himself. “You have to keep an eye on what he's been doing. I grant you a large thank you for doing this. You like the guy, I know that, but this was not part of the plan. You know as well as I do that the party is a big deal. It’s not just for fun, but it’s the perfect time to use the criminal underworld against the city.”

“What do you mean, sir?”

“I mean that those POL members in the city weren’t Matt’s only way out of prison. In a week, we’ll have them on our side, to scare the Mirians into compliance. They have been running around a lot lately thinking that they can change the state of the world, but they can’t. We can’t let that night go to waste. I’ll have Matt himself working for me. And then we’ll have no issue at all for finding and capturing Rich. Matt is furious with the man, after all. They’re practically walking into a trap, but it’s not a trap that I want Winters in. He does his job well. He’s managed to make these people trust him. All I want is you to continue your… eh… stalking. I’ll take care of the issue myself. I know the perfect way to get him back in this damn tower, and he won’t be able to do anything to stop me. If I’m lucky, Matt will bring those POL members with him. If anyone will be able to catch Rich and his goons, it’s the POL.”

Alaric thinned his lips. “The POL are practically terrorists.”

“And?” Blake shrugged. “Matt is the biggest criminal in this forgotten city yet I’m still trying to employ him.”

“I’m not sure-”

Blake spun around on his heels, meeting Alaric face-to-face. His expression fell as he glared into the heart of the sergeant. “I don’t care what you have to say, Denhart. It sounds mean but I’m serious. I know what I’m doing and you’re not going to be able to stop me. My whole reign is a big puzzle for these people and they’re getting too close to the truth. I can’t allow that to happen.”

Alaric gave in. He handed Blake the radio and Blake turned it on, placing it on his desk. “Thank you,” he answered. Over the radio all that could be heard was Anthony conversing with a co-worker, presumably at the entrance of the tower based on the echoes through the room. Blake rested his hands on his hips, listening carefully. There was nothing yet he had to be concerned about, so he turned Alaric out of his office, leaving the radio on his desk before he sat down again, taking a yellow folder off the bookshelf and flipping through it to pull out an alliance agreement with a neighboring city.

⇤⇥

“How was the day, Tones?” Atlantis asked, walking down the sidewalk with him as they headed towards the general area of Mosisnoir. Because of the mission, the two started talking more after a long period of two-party silence between them. Anthony started walking Atlantis home, finding himself worried about her safety. They were friends for a long time, but the whole party at Black Tower thing made Anthony more protective of the team, especially from people like Blake.