Chapter Two - The Heart

He was a cold, empty man. I don't blame him for not spoiling me. It wasn't in his nature, if we could put it that way? Probably he never loved me, not even one bit. But - He was full of other good qualities.
Yes, if I had to choose a memory to treasure, it wouldn't be anything else. Just a phrase, said out of the blue, in a blurry night, so vague I couldn't recall when or where.

«Remember: Don't open your heart to the world, █████.»

My living self failed those words wonderfully.

-

When I was done reminiscing, as promised to Adam I was back home just in time for lunch. The fallen angel was still on my bed, grumpy as ever.

«Ohw, don't look at me that way. I have a gift you see.»

From my basket I pulled out a miniaturized version of Adam's axe. It was too big and heavy for me to carry, so I had to cast a temporary shrinking spell. It was quite handy, but worked only on inanimate objects and required Wolffia pollen.
Once out of the basket, the Axe returned to its original size immediately.

Adam's eyes were open wide, grabbing the handle of the axe, almost stunned. He returned it to its guitar form in a golden flash of light.

«No tricks... how the fuck did you recover this?»
«Interesting, seems like you still have authority over your weapon. Maybe because it's a personal ability?»

He just watched me again.

«Oh, sorry, thinking out loud. Well, let's call it a trip to the Carmine residence and some magic.»
«You just keep getting weirder by the minute, dude.»
«Oh, do I?»

As usual I sat on that chair. It was still the second day, yet I felt like recovering his beloved guitar somehow made Adam warm a little more towards me.
Hesitant, he spoke.

«... Lunch.»
«Right you are! But I'm afraid no ribs this time. You know, I need at least some of them! Haha!»

His expression darkened. My, too soon?

I prepared a pair of sandwiches with eggs, salad, mayo and a bit of curry powder, then served them on a plate.

Adam swiftly grabbed one and gave a big chomp. I could see his eyes glittering a little.

«Hm... Don't you... eat?»
«I have my own rations. I'm not particularly accustomed to the concept of daily meals.»
«Of course it had to be something strange, weirdo.»
«Also, if I ate right in front of you, you'd see my face.»
«...»

The man just finished the second sandwich in mere seconds.

«So, how was it?»
«Uff, alright. It was good. You're good at cooking, for some reason.»
«Every mage is a good cook.»
«Right... bout' that. What the hell is up with you and magic?»

I tilted my head.

«What do you mean? Most demons are capable of performing magic.»
«Don't play dumb, bitch. Yeah, they can. But you seem to have a... encyclo- enclylio- fuck-»
«Encyclopedic.»
«Yeah, that. An en-whatever knowledge of it.»

I waited some seconds before answering.

«Well, father was a priest, mother was a witch. They both fumbled with alchemy. I grew up in quite the household.»
«A witch and a priest together? Hot.»
«They didn't love each other, their union was merely beneficial. For my mother to not be burned at the stake, and for my father to know the secrets of witchcraft. My mother's nature was kept a secret.»
«...»

It was the first time Adam listened to me talking for that long. It was weird on both sides. I kinda preferred his arrogant, smug self. I waited for him to lust on the dynamic I just described, to no avail.

«Well, now that you have your guitar, you have something to do!»
«Yeah. I guess I'll try to savor the good of the pathetic condition I'm in by writing a song or some shit. Almost can't believe I get to hold this again.»
«You're welcome.»

Another silence.

The man with dark hair gathered all of his inner strength to push out his next phrase.

Something that should have not been said.
Something beyond any of my calculations.

«You're doing a lot for me, dude.»

After an interminable pause, he added:

«Thank you.»