Chapter 57: The Scapegoat!

The mere mention of an expedition made Loki jump up from her chair with a "Hey!".

The next expedition was scheduled for eleven days later.

"Have you talked to Hephaestus, Loki?" Finn inquired.

Having learned a harsh lesson from the previous expedition where their weapons were dissolved, he planned to request the assistance of another Familia skilled in weapon repair and maintenance.

"It's all settled on that end. Their condition is that we hand over any weapon materials we find in the deeper levels. Anyway, Hephaestus agreed," Loki replied.

"What about the 'magic swords'? Gareth, how many have you collected?" Finn turned to Gareth.

"I scoured the entire city and managed to secure over thirty. We can pick them up today," Gareth reported.

As the name suggested, "magic swords" possessed magical abilities, allowing the wielder to cast magic imbued within the blade without the need for chanting.

However, their use was limited, typically to single-digit numbers, and their price exorbitant.

So, magic swords were often reserved as trump cards, and only a large Familia like Loki Familia could afford to purchase over thirty at once.

Finn's plan was to use these magic swords against the worm-like monsters, preventing direct contact with their corrosive fluids should they be surrounded again.

"Furthermore, everyone except Riveria, Lefiya, Ais, and Shiro needs to prepare swords with the 'unbreakable' property," Finn declared.

During the previous expedition, only Ais and Shiro's weapons had resisted the corrosive fluids of the worm-like monsters, allowing them to effectively counter the threat.

So, this time, Finn intended to equip all first-class adventurers, except for Riveria, with unbreakable weapons.

However, the cost of this strategy was significant, as both unbreakable weapons and magic swords were incredibly expensive, nearly depleting their Familia's treasury.

"Captain, excuse me."

At this time, Tione's voice called from outside.

She entered the room, accompanied by Lefiya and Tiona.

"Eh? Where's Ais-tan?" Loki asked, noticing her absence.

The three women exchanged glances, and Lefiya finally spoke up, her voice trembling slightly.

"Ais-san... seems to have gone to the Dungeon alone."

A heavy silence fell upon the room after hearing this.

Well, it was typical of Ais to rush back into the Dungeon immediately after leveling up.

But, remembering the Beast Tamer, they couldn't help but worry about Ais.

However, Loki broke the silence with a nonchalant suggestion.

"Well, if you're worried, just ask Bete or someone else to go find her. Ever since Ais reached Level 6, her competitive heart has been itching to go back to the Dungeon."

"Also, Finn, I need you to discreetly investigate the sewers without informing the Guild," Loki added.

Finn looked up at her, questioning, "The same sewers you mentioned going to with Bete?"

"Yes. Having me tag along would just hinder you, so I'll leave the investigation to you. But it's best not to bring too many magic users," Loki advised, acknowledging the sensitivity of the carnivorous plants to magic.