Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Chapter 19

Saturday, June 12, 1992  Bass Lake, WI 

Alvin looked across at Harold. "You think we got enough in the basket?"

"Well, what's your goal for that basket? A little bit for lunch or are you thinking of an actual fish fry? 'Cause for that, we're a little short?" asked Harold.

"Oh, mainly freezing. I'll keep them on ice till I clean them later; the women should have lunch ready when we get back. And once Lucy has a plan in motion, I usually let it ride, you know, Harold."

"Yup," said Harold. "If they have it all planned out, just go with the flow. You'll learn that someday, Jacob."

"Learn what?" said Jacob from the front of the boat as he recast his line.

"How to keep the ladies from getting all riled up," said Harold.

"Something you could probably learn a little better," said Alvin. "Currently, son, you have your Aunt and grandmother chasing windmills over your push to stay here at the cottage, and your mother sounded pretty fired up herself when I talked to her last night."

"Yeah," said Jake, looking out over the bow. "She's not happy with me right now."

"Jacob," Alvin cleared his voice. "I don't think your mother is ever gonna be happy with what she can't control. I feel for you, son, but well, that's where it is."

"I know," came Jake's rueful reply.

"Well, on a happier note," said Harold, "I heard the full discussion this morning. I know the girls are looking forward to seeing you this afternoon."

"Really?" said Jake, now very much paying attention.

"Um, yes, I know Bonnie is hoping to hang out this afternoon," he chuckled. "Just behave yourself."

"Yes," said Alvin, now looking at his grandson. "Behave."

"I will, grandpa. Don't worry," he grinned.

"Jacob, just remember, I was 17 once," he said as he glanced at his watch. "Well, it's almost quarter after; Lucy said lunch was at 2, so we probably should start heading back. Jake, can you get the anchor up?"

"Yeah, grandpa," said Jake as he stowed his pole and started pulling in the rope hanging over the bow.

Soon they were motoring across the lake. As they neared the dock, Lana was already out with Maggie who was staring out at the water and barking at a passing boat and water skier.

"Oh good, they brought Maggie," said Alvin.

"Why is that good?" said Jacob.

"It means I'm going to have a relaxing afternoon," said Alvin as he coasted into the boathouse.

Maggie quickly appeared, leaning into the boat to investigate the catch of the day.

"Maggie, go with Jacob, please, leave the fish alone," he instructed the dog, who snorted an indignant reply but followed Jake out as Alvin and Harold finished unloading the boat.

"Hey Jake," said Lana as they came up from the dock. "You guys catch much?"

"A few nice perch and a couple bass. But nothing crazy," said Jake.

"No fish stories," teased Lana.

"No," said Jake, "but definitely heard a few," he laughed as Bonnie grinned at him.

"Come up to the house and help me get lunch ready. Gram and mom have enough fried chicken, mashed potatoes, and sides to feed an army," said Lana.

"Well," said Jake, "I know Bonnie and Leah may stop..."