Fat Girl Problem 33: Prom

"Quinn, you look amazing!" Thea squealed.

     I blushed as I twirled around for Thea and Cece in my light green dress. Hopefully I did. It was prom we were going to - the event that only happened once in a lifetime. 

     "You do too," I said to Thea and Cece once I finished twirling.

     They grinned at me and said simultaneously, "Thanks!"

     Thea then gave Cece a creepy look. "Are you excited to go to prom with Jake?"

     Cece began to blush wildly. I laughed at her embarrassment. It was honestly so cute to see Cece interested in a guy. They met two months ago and hit it off instantly. Cece tried to stop getting feelings for him because she was scared of being cheated on again by a guy, but that didn't work because Jake was perfect - not as perfect as Connor though. It made me happy though that Jake proved to Cece that love could be good. From personal experience, I knew love was pretty amazing.

    Yes, Connor and I were going strong. We went on dates here and there and spent a lot of time together. Connor still tried to get me to accept myself, and I guess you could say that it worked a bit. I knew a guy shouldn't assure you that you're not that horrible person you see in the mirror, but Connor did. He honestly made me feel beautiful. Not exactly in looks, but in the way I was.

     Smiling to myself, I heard Thea and Cece giggle. I looked at them confused.

     "What?" I asked.

     "You're thinking about Connor, aren't you?" Thea asked.

     I blushed and didn't answer. They laughed at my reaction.

     "Of course she is," Cece said smiling.

     My cheeks heated up even more. "Shut up guys."

     They laughed and my dad suddenly popped his head through my bedroom door. He smiled genuinely as he stared at us.

     "Connor and the rest are here," he said.

     I smiled. "Thanks dad. Let's go."

     As I walked outside the room my dad then said, "You look beautiful. Connor is a lucky guy."

     My cheeks heated up as I hugged my dad. "Thank you."

     Letting go, we all walked downstairs together. Dad hummed happily as he followed us down the stairs. I felt happier than I'd felt in a while.

     When we reached downstairs, I became instantly amazed by Connor. He was just so hot and god, a suit looked like it was made for him. He grinned as I walked towards him, opening up his arms in the process. I hugged him and felt his arms wrap around me.

     "You look beautiful. God, you look so beautiful," he said chuckling.

     "You look handsome. God, you look so handsome," I said, mocking him.

     I giggled as he glared at me. Dad then interrupted.

     "Connor, I can't believe you left me for my daughter."

     Everyone laughed.

     "Sorry sir," Connor said sheepishly.

     My smile grew as my dad winked at Connor and then went back upstairs. It was nice seeing that my dad loved Connor. I think that kind of meant Connor and I could last. If a guy had your dad's approval, it meant he was a keeper.

     I then looked around me to see Thea hugging her guy, Ryan. They weren't dating or anything, but I could see it happening soon. They were cute together.

     Smiling, I said, "Let's go guys."

     Everyone agreed and we walked to the limo together.

     I was laughing as Connor glared at me. For the past hour I had been trying to get him to dance, but to not much avail. Connor just wouldn't dance. I didn't mind that though. Trying to make him dance was quite entertaining.

     "I'm going to get us drinks," Connor said, slightly smiling as he saw me pout.

     I nodded and he walked off. Not knowing what to do, I danced alone. You could say my self-esteem had increased because I honestly didn't care what people thought of me. If they stared then so what. No matter what you do you're going to get judged, might as well have fun doing it.

     "Quinn."

    I stopped dancing and turned around to see Brad standing in front of me in a dark gray tux. He looked awfully nervous.

    "What?" I asked bluntly.

    "I'm so sorry for what I did. I never meant to hurt you and I really think we should try being together again," he said, scratching the back of his neck.

    I rolled my eyes. "Brad, you chose to do what you did. It doesn't matter if you regret it now. What you did has been done."

    "But Quinn-"

     "Bye Brad," I said, cutting him off.

     He frowned and just walked away. I couldn't help but smile in victory.

     "Wow, my girl got guts."

     I turned around and saw Connor grinning at me. I grinned back at him. A slow song suddenly began to play, so Connor then extended a hand towards me. I took it and allowed him to pull me closer. Smiling, I snuggled my face into his chest.

     "Quinn, honestly you're so beautiful," Connor said.

     I looked up at him. "Random much?"

     He smiled. "If only you could see yourself now."

     I blushed and then said softly, "Thank you so much for everything. I realize I never thanked your for everything you did for me."

    "You don't need to thank me."

    "I do," I insisted. "Honestly, before I met you I was an insecure mess. I never stood up for myself and I didn't believe in myself. Now I can and do."

     "Quinn, that's all you. You made yourself stronger."

      "But Connor, you're the one who makes me feel like being fat isn't always a burden. You make me feel like I can possibly be beautiful."

      He kissed my forehead gently. "You are beautiful Quinn. But you're welcome. Being fat shouldn't be a burden anyways, it's just the way some people are made. Nothing wrong with it."

     "Of course," I agreed.

     I snuggled back into him and thought about what he said. It was all true. Being fat wasn't and shouldn't be a burden. The way my body was built was out of my hands, it was out of many people's hands. Something that was out of our hands was something that shouldn't be judged because it didn't make you any less of a person. I realized that now after so many years. Being fat was not a problem. It was just a part of who I was and I now accepted that. Connor was who I needed to thank for that realization. I knew how.

     "I love you," I suddenly said honestly.

     "I love you too," he replied quickly.

     He tilted my face up to look at him and pressed his lips against mine. I kissed him back happily. For the rest of the night and eternity, we spent our time happily in love. No burdens whatsoever involved.

The End.