Chapter 1

Elizabeth Bennet smoothed her dress as she sat inside the carriage on the way to the Meryton assembly. It was made of a fine silk, in a deep blue color, and Elizabeth felt like she should hardly breath in such a dress. She knew she should be used to wearing dresses such as these, for she often did when in London, but since they were unable to travel due to strong colds her younger sisters Mary, Lydia, and Catherine had recently suffered, Elizabeth found herself spending most of her time at home, and she had not worn a dress anywhere near this elegant for quite a while. The rest of her sisters had at home worn more fashionable attire, but Elizabeth preferred simple dresses, which her mother often chastised her for. Her mother always believed in showing off her fortune, no matter where she was, and would have her daughters practice the same, but Elizabeth was stubborn on this matter. She wanted somewhere where she could be comfortable, and she knew that out in society was not the place to do so, for her mother would never forgive her. She chose home as the place to give into her desire for comfort.

Mrs. Bennet, had been quite poor before her marriage to Mr. Bennet, and wanted her daughters to be the elegant young women she had always dreamed of being. She showed off her wealth like she remembered others had done in her youth, and marveled at her luck. She knew that she was extremely lucky to have been chosen by Mr. Bennet as a bride considering her lack of fortune, and wanted to feel her luck at all times. Her obsession with the material wealth and good standing she had gained by marriage only increased when she realized that her marriage was not going to bring happiness from the relationship she had with Mr. Bennet. She had secured him through her beauty, not her affections, and therefore the marriage was not one full of love. Mr. Bennet had nearly 12,000 pounds a year, a mighty fortune indeed. He had good connections including having a cousin that was an Earl, and although Mrs. Bennet had been poor, her connections were not disadvantageous. She expected her daughters to have the proper respect for their wonderful situation by being perfect young ladies, but Elizabeth often disappointed. She was proficient at most things, but did not excel at them like she ought to. Her other sisters on the other hand were accomplished young ladies. Mrs. Bennet's disappointment did not have her giving up on her most troublesome daughter, she expected her to make an advantageous marriage just like her other daughters. She would not lower her family, and so she remained determined to force Elizabeth into becoming an accomplished and elegant lady as well.

Thus Elizabeth Bennet found herself riding to a ball that she had no wish to attend to, feeling like a porcelain doll. Her mother was beaming as she knew that Mr. Bingley, an eligible young man who would satisfy her expectations of an advantageous marriage, would be there for one of her girls to capture.  She had hoped Jane would do better, and intended Elizabeth for the gentleman. His wealth was certainly modest compared to their own, but she would most definitely be satisfied with it for her least favorite daughter. Elizabeth was starting to feel sickened by her mother's cheer, knowing that she was to be displayed for the young man like cattle to be sold.

Upon arriving, Elizabeth felt mortified as all eyes fell on her and her family. Mrs. Bennet however, reveled in the awe that her presence inspired. The Bennets were often at London during the season, and rarely came to assemblies such as these, as Mrs. Bennet thought the company too below her family. Tonight however there was to be an eligible bachelor, and so the Bennets made their rare appearance in Meryton society. Shortly after people began to return to their activities again, another silence filled the room, as Mr. Bingley and his party arrived. Mr. Bingley was soon introduced to the Bennets by a Sir Lucas, a short and stout jolly fellow, who Mrs. Bennet liked well enough, but only because of his title. Elizabeth smiled at Mr. Bingley, and not just because her mother expected her to, but because he seemed to be a most agreeable gentleman, and he smiled cheerily as he was introduced to the Bennets. Elizabeth noticed his smile broaden as he was introduced to Jane, and giggled quietly to herself as she thought it would be impossible for his smile to widen without breaking his face. She knew it wasn't a terribly funny thought, but needed to laugh at something or burst out in hysterics at how suffocating the room was. However, her smile was less sincere when she met Miss Bingley, Mr. Bingley's sister, who started gushing about the Bennets, giving far too many compliments for Elizabeth's liking.

Everybody was too afraid to approach the Bennets to inform Mrs. Bennet who the rest of the party was, and so after been introduced to Mr. Hurst, and Mrs. Hurst, Mr. Bingley's elder sister, Mrs. Bennet did not pay any special attention to the other gentleman. In fact she was about to suggest that Elizabeth was fond of dancing, so Mr. Bingley would offer to dance with her, when Mr. Bingley guided his friend to the front of the group and introduced him. For a while, Mrs. Bennet stood in silence, unable to speak a word as she was shocked at the introduction of Mr. Darcy. She had met his mother and father once in London at a small gathering from a mutual friend, and knew that Mr. Darcy must be very wealthy indeed, more so than Mr. Bingley. Reminding herself that she was now to introduce her daughters to Mr. Darcy, she spoke with even more civility than she had to Mr. Bingley, and smiled expectantly at her daughters, urging them to do the same. Elizabeth however, had grown tired of smiling when she did not feel like smiling, and greeted him with mere politeness.

In contrast to her sisters, Elizabeth stuck out, and Darcy felt himself intrigued as to why she would act in such a way. Elizabeth was so lost in thought about how uncomfortable she felt, that she didn't notice when Mr. Darcy asked her "Miss Elizabeth, might you do me the honor of dancing with me?" Mr. Darcy would have just assumed that Elizabeth had not heard and repeated the question if it had not been for a loud sigh she emitted. Mr. Bingley had already asked Jane to dance, and Elizabeth was watching their retreating figures with a sigh of relief, as she would not have to throw herself at Mr. Bingley if he was interested in her elder sister. Mr. Darcy interpreted the sigh as one of disapproval of his person, and after waiting quite some time for Elizabeth to respond, he felt himself angered by the young lady's silence.

After some time his anger climaxed, and he found himself shouting at the young Miss Elizabeth. "The very least you could do, would be to answer my question," Darcy glared at her angrily unable to control his temper. " I don't know what I have done to offend you, but I would advise you to act more like a lady in the future." Upon saying this, Mr. Darcy briskly walked away, leaving behind a stunned Elizabeth, and instantly regretting the scene he had created.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Please leave any of your thoughts and comments, even, if not especially, if they critique the story. Do not be afraid to offend :) Thank You