Chapter 7

A few uneventful weeks passed at Longbourn, and a rhythm worked its way into the lives of its inhabitants. Elizabeth and Edward avoided each other, but anger no longer overcame Elizabeth when she saw her brother. After the excitement of their brother's return dissipated, the girls continued their lives as normal, with little attention paid towards him. Mr. Bennnet kept to his study, and Mrs. Bennet made various social calls, mostly to her sister who lived in the village of Meryton.

A calmness of sorts came to Longbourn, and Elizabeth finally felt at home. Her mother was too focused on other matters to pressure her, and her father who had become somewhat intimidating to her, was almost only in her company during dinner. Jane, who was Elizabeth's closest companion, became distracted by a painting she had started, the object of which was a secret. Elizabeth found herself often alone, and she spent many hours walking, despite the cold. She found herself to be quite content in the calm that had arisen, and felt she could continue so forever. However, the time of tranquility at Longbourn was soon to draw to an end. Lydia, the youngest, was just as accomplished as her sisters, but a little more spirited. She did not like the quiet country, and for her, calm was the equivalent of boredom. She soon became restless,  and fixed her attentions on London. She tried desperately to convince her father to bring them to London, but he refused. There were things that needed to be taken care of at Longbourn, and traveling would soon become difficult, as the dreary months between winter and spring were approaching, and the roads would become wet and muddy.

Lydia's disappointment gained sympathy from her mother, and Mrs. Bennet went to Mr. Bennet to try and change his mind.

"My dear Mr. Bennet," said she, "I wonder how you can watch our children suffer so, and keep still. The country is not suitable for the young, we should go, while we still can, to London. The roads are not yet muddy, and if we make haste, we can avoid that situation altogether." She paused and tried to discern what her husband was thinking. She could find nothing that indicated he was for the idea in his expression, and so decided to add something for good measure. "Also, as for the business which you wish to attend to here at Longbourn, is it really so urgent it cannot wait a few more months?" Her eyes pleaded with Mr. Bennet.

Mr. Bennet knew that his wife would be persistent if he denied her request. He did not want to go to London, but he also wished for her to leave him alone. He needed something to pacify her and Lydia, something to make them happy. He could send them shopping in Meryton! No, after that delights of London, that would not do. He could invite some company over dinner! No, that was not enough to satisfy. He would have to do something at the expense of his own happiness, to satisfy his wife and child. Something grand and expensive, he thought. Perhaps a ball? That would definitely bring some discomfort to him, therefore it would most likely give his family joy. Yes, a ball is what he would suggest. "I'm afraid that my business really is of a more urgent nature than you think, and we cannot go to London," Mr. Bennet began. It wasn't true of course, his business could wait a few months, but he figured a little lie would greatly help his motives, and therefore was justified. Mrs. Bennet began to pout, and just as she opened her mouth to declare her displeasure, Mr. Bennet began to speak again. "However, I understand that Longbourn can be boring for the children." Mrs. Bennet's eyes lit up. "Perhaps a ball would alleviate the pain?"

"Oh, Mr. Bennet!" Mrs. Bennet exclaimed. "The girls and I would have so much fun planning a ball! Lydia would be too distracted to be bored. And the eligible bachelors of the neighborhood would certainly come! Besides Edward has only had the company of his sisters and his parents, he needs the company of other young men his age. Oh, Mr. Bennet!" Mrs. Bennet threw her arms around her husband in an embrace, and he stiffened. She quickly pulled away. "Ah,  yes, well so much to do Mr. Bennet! I'll let you do your business, and I shall begin mine. Lydia shall be most pleased." Mrs. Bennet briskly walked out of the study, and skipped down the hall. Oh, a ball would bring such joy, and she would forget all of her worries! She ran up the stairs, then collected herself, and entered Lydia's room.