Chapter 5

Dearest Lizzie,

I am anxious for my journey home. It shall not take too long, but I do not know how much longer I can bear being apart from you all. I especially need to see you, for our quarrels have left me heartbroken.

I know that when we last spoke, we were not on the best of terms. I hope to remedy that Lizzie. I know that Mama was unusually cruel in her punishment of you, and I am truly sorry for that. However, I cannot begin to comprehend your actions. How could you have gone into the company of that gentleman unaccompanied? You refused to answer then, and I suppose you shall refuse to answer when I am home.

Again I have ruined my apology, but now I cannot let myself pretend that what you did was alright. You could have tainted yourself and all of our family. The servants saw you whispering together, sitting too close for propriety, alone, and these things can be interpreted to mean other things. You are fortunate that they are loyal to our father, and also fearful of him.

I know you well enough still, that I cannot believe anything truly scandalous occurred. It hurts me that you will not confide in me. We were so close once.

Enough of that, we shall have plenty of time to discuss it when I am home. Give Mary, Lydia, and Kitty my affections, and tell Jane that I have a present for her when I arrive. I shall see you soon.

Sincerely,
               Edward Bennet