Chapter Nine

Tam lay on the couch, his sleeping bag draped over him, but he couldn’t rest. Even though his body felt heavy with exhaustion, his brain buzzed, thoughts circling like bees.

Jennet was at Lassiter’s house.

What were they doing? Probably eating something delicious that both of them completely took for granted. Playing on his no-doubt amazing systems, laughing. Lassiter showing off for Jennet, dazzling her. Gaming skills counted for a lot in her world. Just because Tam had beat the Viewer yesterday, it didn’t mean Lassiter wasn’t a prime player.

She said she didn’t see anything special about him - but what if that changed? If Jennet came back to school tomorrow all starry-eyed over Lassiter, Tam didn’t know what he would do. Other than hate himself for pushing her at the guy.

He was worrying too much, he knew it. Jennet could take care of herself - and it wasn’t like he had any claim on her, beyond being her friend. But you want to, part of him whispered. He moved restlessly, the sleeping bag making shushing noises, but there was no getting away from the thought. Even though he knew it was hopeless, he wished… he wished…

“Dammit,” he said, throwing the sleeping bag off and sitting up.

No more lying around, thinking about her smile or how soft her lips would be, if he ever kissed them. Next thing, he’d be wearing black and writing emo poetry about love and blood. He scrubbed his hands through his hair, then let it fall back over his eyes.

The afternoon was shading to dusk, the house quiet and empty. Mom and the Bug had gone out so that he could get some rest - much good that had done. Tam got to his feet and went into the kitchen, flipping the kettle on to make instant coffee. Strong and black, so he could cover the bitter taste in his mouth with something real.

Outside, the stairs creaked, signaling that someone was coming up. He went to the door, bracing himself for Mom’s clinging hug and the Bug’s excited chatter about wherever they had been.

Instead, there was a knock.

“Tam?” It was Jennet’s voice. “Hey, are you there?”

He slid the peephole aside, just to be sure. Yep, Jennet Carter stood outside his door, her hair shining in the last bit of sun.

“Jennet.” He undid the deadbolts and wrenched the door open. “What are you doing here? The Exe isn’t safe for you. You didn’t walk, I hope.”

She made a face. “Thanks, I’d love to come in. Good to see you, too.”

“I’m serious.” He stepped back so she could come inside, then closed and locked the door behind her. “It’s getting dark. You shouldn’t be here.”

He sounded like a grumpy old man, but he couldn’t help himself, even though he was beyond glad to see her.

“I had George drive me. Don’t worry so much.”

Like being chauffeured around in a grav-car wasn’t incredibly conspicuous, especially in the Exe. He bit his tongue to keep from scolding her even more. She didn’t deserve to be a victim of his bad mood.

“Want something hot to drink?” he asked.

He went back to the kitchen, trying not to notice the mess in their two-room house. While he’d been in the hospital, Mom had let the Bug trash the place. Maybe if he ignored the mess, Jennet wouldn’t see it, either. Yeah, right. One of these days, when he got his energy back, he’d start picking up.

“Tea would be good,” she said, following him into the kitchen alcove. “Um, is your family here?”

She glanced at the narrow door to Mom’s bedroom - the only other place they could be, since they clearly weren’t in the living room.