Chapter Thirty-Four

The golden light of Feyland swirled around him, and Tam held the image of the Bright Court in his mind. Take me there, he thought fiercely. The usual queasiness faded, and he felt solid ground under his feet. Had he done it? He opened his eyes.

Relief washed through him. He was standing in the middle of the faerie ring that led to the Bright Court. He never thought he’d be so happy to see those poisonous white-flecked mushrooms again. With one hand resting on his sword, he jumped over the ring and hurried down the path.

No twiggy guards blocking his way this time, no bright pixies flashing through the trees - which was just fine by him. As soon as the forest thinned out, he started jogging, pushing his pace. It was day here - it was probably always daytime, just as the Dark Court was in perpetual midnight.

Before long, he reached the fence line that marked the first field. He climbed quickly over the stile, then stopped in surprise. The herd of flame-eyed horses stood before him, waiting. With a whinny, the leader tossed his head and bent, indicating that Tam should mount.

“Nice,” Tam said, swinging up and taking a firm grip on the rough, silver mane. “This is going to help a lot - I appreciate it.”

The horse’s muscles bunched as he leapt into movement. They were going so fast, the grasses and flowers blurred past like an old-fashioned painting. When they reached the silver-latched gate, the steed didn’t hesitate. Tam had only a second to brace himself when it was clear they weren’t going to stop. Four hooves left the earth as the horse jumped up and over the gate. For a moment, Tam swore they were flying.

The horse landed lightly, then resumed his wild pace. A moment later, they galloped past the black cows. The spritely cow-herd waved from her perch on the largest animal’s back, and the bull lifted its head briefly, coal-bright eyes glowing.

As they approached the gold-latched gate, Tam hung on tight. Sure enough, his mount leaped that gate as well, white petals scattering as they landed in the orchard. The horse pounded between the rows of trees. Tam leaned low over his mount’s neck to keep the branches from scraping him off.

Speckled chickens scattered, squawking, as Tam and the silver horse tore through. The hen-wife shook her fist, and the horse neighed, the sound suspiciously like laughter. Then they were past, and a round green hill rose into the sky - but the ride wasn’t over yet.

The horse leaped, ascending the first terrace, the second, the third. At the very top of the hill, the door to the Bright Court stood open. Tam tried to untangle his fingers from the horse’s mane so he could dismount, but his hands were stuck fast. Guess he wasn’t getting off until his mount wanted him to.

Indeed, the silver horse didn’t slow, but pounded through the door, straight into the warm misty corridors beneath the hill. It wasn’t until they reached the ornate golden doors leading to the heart of the king’s court that Tam’s mount slowed. The horse came to a halt and bobbed his head, and Tam found that this time he could let go. He slid off, and a moment later, the white-haired man stood before him.

“Make haste,” the horse-man said. “Thy lady lies within.”

“I don’t know how I can repay you,” Tam said.

The man smiled, his eyes flashing silver. “Restore the balance, mortal. Farewell.”

Before Tam could ask what he’d meant, the man transformed back into a horse. White flames glimmering about his feet, he pivoted and galloped away, leaving Tam to face the Bright Court - alone.

The golden doors slowly swung open, the brightness beyond making him narrow his eyes. Alright then. Time to get Jennet out of there.

The gemmed trees shimmered as he passed, the emeralds and rubies winking, bright shards of green and red. Hand to his sword, Tam walked light-footed over the velvet mosses. Not that there was any hope his coming was a secret.