Chapter Twenty-Eight

Pixies flew back and forth, stitching the air with brightness. Beneath one of the trees a long-limbed dryad sat, plucking the strings of a harp. The sweet, yearning melody pierced through Jennet like the echo of some precious thing, lost.

On either side of the throne, fey-folk reclined on couches fashioned of velvet and silk. Ethereal-winged women, more of the gnarled creatures who had guarded the path, a capering gnome - all watched them with curious eyes. Curious, but not unwelcoming, unlike the denizens of the Dark Court.

Then a voice spoke from the dais, deep and rich, like sandalwood and gold. “What bogles do you bring before me, Puck?”

The glow surrounding the throne began to fade, and Jennet risked a peek at the king. He was tall, his pale hair swept back by a circlet of pure gold. Piercing silver eyes surveyed them from above sharp cheekbones. His face held strength, and an otherworldly beauty that made her shiver.

She dropped her gaze to the throne, then let out a relieved breath to see that it was made of the metallic foliage. Plus, the whole dais was covered with glimmering grasses. The ingredient they needed for the fairy ointment.

“Your highness.” Puck swept an improbably elegant bow. “I bring two mortals who would ask a boon of you. They have passed many tests to stand before you, and I pray you grant them what they seek.”

“Come closer,” the king said, beckoning to Jennet and Tam.

Puck moved to the side, making a place for himself on one of the velvet couches, between two of the faerie maidens.

When they reached the foot of the dais, Tam made a slight bow and Jennet dipped her knees in a passable curtsey. They weren’t here to fight the king - at least, she hoped not.

“Ah,” the king said, an amused note in his tone. “Mortals, yes. And familiar with the Realm, if I am not mistaken. Tell me, how fares my shadow-sister, the Dark Queen?”

Jennet swallowed. “Um… well enough.”

If you didn’t count the fact that she and Tam had ruined the queen’s plans to open a gateway into the mortal world.

“Step closer, human girl,” the Bright King said.

Almost against her will, she stepped up onto the dais. The king’s gaze was warm upon her, his eyes deep wells of sparkling magic. She took another step. Her heart hammered her ribs, excitement and fear blending into a dizzy rush through her blood.

“Quite fair, indeed,” the king said. “Maiden, would you grace my halls?”

“Hey!” Tam cried. “Leave her alone!”

She felt a wrench on her arm as Tam pulled her away. She stumbled off the dais, but Tam steadied her, his hands solid on her shoulders.

“You ok?” he asked with a worried tilt to his mouth.

“I... yeah.” She glanced up at the king, who was watching them impassively. “Are you sure that was a good idea? I mean, we need his help.”

Tam’s face shuttered. “Not at that price.”

The Bright King let out a long breath, and the gemmed trees on either side of the clearing swayed. Behind him, the pixies hovered - poised to attack? Jennet fingered the leather wrappings on the handle of her dagger. No, if it came to a fight, she’d use her illusion power again. But she had a feeling they had to find another solution here.

“Tam, he doesn’t even know what we want,” she said.

The king leaned forward. “Of course I do,” he said in his deep voice. “You want what every mortal entering the Realm wants. Magic. Power. And you may have it - for a price.”