Chapter 1

"O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin. And do not spy or backbite each other. Would one of you like to eat the flesh of his brother when dead? You would detest it. And fear Allah ; indeed, Allah is Accepting of repentance and Merciful." - Surah 49, Verse 12

***
I was preparing breakfast for Zayd and Raouf when my phone rang. I grabbed my phone from the dining table and press the green button. I wedged it in between my ears and shoulder as I flipped the eggs on the hot pan.

"Assalamualaikum." (Peace be upon you.)

"Wa'alaikumsalam. (Peace be upon you too) How are you Rabia?"

"Alhamdulillah (All praises to Allah) Ummi. I'm good," I replied as I slid the egg off the pan and into a plate. I switched the stove off and bring the egg to the dining table. "How are you and Abi?"

"Alhamdulillah. I was wondering if we can come over there this afternoon. We miss Raouf."

"Ummi, you just met him 2 days ago!"

I smiled at my mother's sweet laughter at the other end of the phone as I spread butter on the toast. "If I could, I would like to come over everyday!"

I laughed as I placed the buttered toast on Zayd's plate. "Alright Ummi. Do come. I'm in the midst of preparing breakfast for the men in the house right now. I'll see you later."

After our conversation, I placed the phone next to Zayd's and made sandwiches for Raouf. He loves nutella with banana sandwich for his breakfast. So I spread nutella on a bread and sliced a banana to be placed on top and covered it with another slice of bread. Placing it on his Thomas the train plate, I called out, "Abang! (Hubby) Raouf! Breakfast!"

Zayd came out of the Raouf's room with Raouf sitting on his shoulders. "Ummi! I'm taller than you!"

I smiled at him as I tiptoed and pinched his rosy cheeks. "Masha Allah! You're so tall! I have to tiptoe to reach you!"

Raouf grinned with triumph as he folded his arm across his chest. "Ummi! You're such a shorty."

I pouted my lips at him and pretended to be sad. "But how are you going to eat this delicious Nutella banana sandwich if you're up there? I made it especially for you."

Raouf eyes brightened at the name of his favourite food. He patted Zayd's head and said, "Abi, can you put me down? I'm hungry."

Zayd chuckled at his son and gingerly let him off his shoulders. He put Raouf on his chair and Raouf immediately reached for the sandwich.

"Raouf....." Zayd said as he raised his eyebrows at the child. "Doa."

"Oh right!"

We settled down in our own seats, raised our cupped hands and Raouf began his prayer. "Bismillahir rahmaanir rahiim. Allahumma baarik llanaa fiima razaqtanaa waqinaa adzaa ban-naar. Amin." (In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Oh Allah bless the food that you have given us, and save us from the torment of hell fire. Amin.)

After breakfast, when Zayd was about to leave the house, Raouf called out, clapping his hands in excitement. "Abi you forgot to kiss Ummi!"

I watched Zayd pursed his lips in a thin line and walked up to me. He kissed my forehead and lifted my chin to kiss my lips. I was taken aback at his sudden behaviour. Of course it was our routine for years but he had never kiss me on my lips for the past few months. I smiled at his initiative move. The kiss was either came from his heart or just an act in front of Raouf. Either way, he made my heart soar. He turned around as soon as I kiss his hands, not looking in my face at all.