Chapter 8

Narrated Abu Huraira:
Allah's Apostle said, "If Allah wants to do good to somebody, He afflicts him with trials." - Sahih Bukhari, Volume 7, Book 70, Number 548

***

When we got back to the hotel room, I was feeling nervous. I couldn't understand the feeling. We have been sleeping with each other even after the day I found out about the affair.

I took my time to wash up and changed into my see-through nightgown. Yes he had actually brought one of the translucent nightgowns. The same exact one where I had wore on our first wedding anniversary night. It made me even more nervous. My blood was rushing through my veins and I could almost hear my heartbeat quickened.

I glanced into the mirror and hesitated.

"Are you seriously going to go into the room in this?" I questioned myself as I inhaled the air. I could smell the sweet scent of the lavender from the body wash and it calms me.

I decided to ignore the anxiety and opened the bathroom door. I saw Zayd was standing by the window and had his back to me. I took the opportunity to jump into the big, comfy bed and hid my body under the bed sheet.

Zayd chuckled. Without turning he said, "You forgot I can see your reflection."

My cheeks immediately grew hot from embarrassment. I pulled the covers over my cheeks, exposing only my eyes and upwards.

This time Zayd turned and approached the bed with a smirk.

"Why did you make me wear this?"

"Why can't I?" Zayd grinned as he started crawling onto the bed.

"Abang... what are you doing?"

Zayd grabbed the cover and threw it open. I literally screamed when he did that. Zayd eyes ran through my body and gently touched my hair.

"You're so beautiful. Why did I ever turn my attention to someone else?"

I swallowed hard and diverted my eyes to the moving pictures on the television. The anxiety immediately vanished and replaced with a feeling of despair and hurt.

"I'm really sorry for everything. I'm sorry for ever hurting you. I guess it took me quite a long time to realise how wonderful you are to me," he said, his voice was full of remorse. He trailed his fingers along my wet cheeks and wiped the tears.

"And even after you knew of the af- my mistake- you were still around. You took care of the house and us. You cooked. You cleaned the house. You washed and ironed my clothes, and Raouf's. You took good care of our needs."

He paused as he settled next to me, hugging me.

"And yet I broke your heart. I know words can't describe how much I am sorry. But I truly am sorry... I'm ashamed and disappointed of myself," Zayd's voice skidded at the end, which made me looked up at him.

He had tears running down his cheeks.

I reached up to him and wiped it with my hands. "I'm quite dismayed at the fact that you pushed me away and gotten yourself hooked with a selfish woman. Seriously what were you thinking?"

Zayd chuckled nervously as he stopped my hands and squeezed it gently. Holding my hand in his, he caressed it with his thumb and brought it to his lips. He kissed it lightly and placed our hands on his laps.

"So if she was not selfish, she might stand a chance?"

I glared at him for making such a remark.

"I'm sorry," he chuckled as he wrapped his arms around me again. "I promise you, I will never hurt you again."

"Insha Allah," I whispered.

-----

Two weeks passed since our staycation at Marina Bay Sands. I was deeply delighted at the impromptu date.

Things seemed to get better between us. Zayd had decided to let go of Fadillah and stay in our marriage. He called her up in front of me and put it on loudspeaker so I could hear everything that was said between them. He told her of his decisions and it made her so angry that she confessed into seeing someone else. She had found a new prey that was richer and able to attend to her needs. Fadillah had stopped calling Zayd since. I was glad.

I called Zayd and he picked up on the third ring.

"Assalamualaikum Sayang," Zayd greeted with happiness in his voice.

"Wa'alaikumsalam. Abang, what time will you reach home today?"

"I might be late today. I have a really fussy customer to attend to. And I also need to go to their house for final inspection."

"Ok dear. I'll tucked Raouf in bed early then. I'm having a terrible headache so I'll sleep early too."

"Are you ok? I promised I'll be home as soon as I get this settle. Give me a couple of hours or three."

We hanged up and I went into Raouf's blue and green bedroom. His room was full of dinosaurs and airplanes. He have a thing for dinosaurs that we memorised every single dinosaurs stated in his books. I just had to mention its name, and he will point it out. Sometimes I purposely mention the dinosaur's name wrongly; he will correct it for me.

"Raouf, Abi will be late today. So do you want to sleep early today? Umi wants some rest as well."

"Are you ok Umi?" Raouf asked as he placed his hand on my forehead. Immediately I pulled myself away from his touch.

"Umi your forehead is hot. I think you're having a fever."

I smiled at him saying it was nothing and made him go to bed. He wanted a kiss as per routine but I was afraid that the virus might infect him. "Next time ok Sayang."

"Ok Umi. You go to sleep too Umi. I love you."

"I love you too."

I switched off the lights and left the door kept ajar. I went into my room and settled myself in the bed. I could feel my body shivering and my head was pounding so badly. Soon I fell asleep.

I had a dream.

I was somewhere bright. The surrounding was just white. There was no beginning or end. Far away from where I stand, I saw my late grandmother waving at me. She was beckoning me to come to her. I jumped in joy at her sight and tried to reach for her. But there seemed to be something holding me back. I turned behind and saw Raouf and Zayd crying. Raouf was pulling at my white dress, saying "Don't go."

I was in a dilemma. I wanted to go with my grandmother whom had taken care of me since I was a child. But there was Raouf who needs me.

Then it occurred to me.

Where exactly am I?

____

A/N: OHHH MYY GODDDD! 

what happened there?? 

Sorry for the cliffhanger. The next chapter might be the last or the second last. in the meantime I can't promise when I can update. 

To the Muslim readers! Advance Eid Mubarak! In case I didn't manage to update before Eid. :)

As usual, remember to vote ok!!