Chapter 4

"And if you fear dissension between the two, send an arbitrator from his people and an arbitrator from her people. If they both desire reconciliation, Allah will cause it between them. Indeed, Allah is ever Knowing and Acquainted [with all things]." - Surah 4, Verse 35

***
Flashback

When I gave him the list, he looked at me like I had given him a bomb. He read it over a few times. When he was done, he gazed over at me and rubbed the back of his neck.

"What is this nonsense Rabia?"

"This list will determine everything that has been going on between us. If you disagree with the list, then divorce me," I shrugged nonchalantly. How can I be so calm despite the fact that if he disagree, I would be a divorcee.

"Rabiatul. The prophet Muhammad s.a.w said: The most hated of permissible things to Allah is divorce. Why would I want to divorce you?"

I shook my head in disagreement. I sat on the couch, away from him and cleared my throat. "But it did not say that it is haram to divorce. If a marriage does not work, there are no reasons that we should carry on."

Zayd shifted in his seat uncomfortably. "We could make it work."

I kept my silence, my eyes kept away from his face.

"And what if I agree to this list? What happen if I completed all of this?"

"I'll let you marry her and do whatever you want to do. You can have both of us or.... Let's just say, it's your decision."

My heart pumped so hard, I was suffocating with my own words. I have no idea where did I get the idea of the list. I was sitting, wondering of all the possibilities of being a divorcee and not. I knew I had to do something. So I took a pen and start scribbling. When I was done, it took a moment for me to have the courage to give it to him.

I saw his face paled and he placed the list on the table. He sighed as he covered his face with his hands. "Why are you doing this Rabia? Can't we just sit and discuss? Not play this game."

I stood up and glared in frustration into his black tired eyes. "The only discussion we're having is this. I am still angry with you! Do you think I can forget that easily? 8 months! And how much longer do you intend to keep quiet? When you finally married her? I can't accept all this. And I'd never ever forgive you for making me like this. Since you do not want to divorce me, but I have my rights too to decide. You cheated on me. You betrayed my trust. You hurt me, Zayd."

I was about to walk away when he grabbed my arm. "Wait. Listen to me."

"I'd rather not. Because I wouldn't know which are the lies and which are not. Forgive me for being like this. I just can't accept any explanation or excuses or whatever."

I snatched my arm and went into the room. I locked the door and tumbled into my bed. The big hole in my stomach was getting bigger each minute and each day. I could not cry anymore for my eyes were dried up. Even if I want to, I couldn't. The numbness took over my body and it made me into a heartless creature.

I had not been eating and drinking lately and my parents were starting to realise that something was amiss. They had started to take an interest about my health and relationship.

At first I did not want to tell them anything about being cheated. But my mum coaxed me into telling. It kind of lifted a weight of my shoulders a bit when the pent-up feelings were been laid out in the open.

At first she was enraged and even wanted to threaten Zayd. But when Ummi told Abi about it, Abi suggested that we should sit and discuss with Zayd. But I was stubborn. I never wanted to discuss anything. I mean what was there to discuss anyway??

-----
Present

I watched as Zayd made Raouf stand beside the Madagascar's penguin in the meet-and-greet. Zayd stand a few feets away and snapped a photo of them. It made me laughed when the penguin tried to hug Raouf with its flaps. Raouf on the other hand was spotted a huge smile on his face the moment we stepped in the Universal Studios compound.

After saying goodbyes to the penguin, we went on our way to greet some other characters from the movie. I even took a few photos of us with the characters.

Alex the lion was being cheeky with me when he used his right hand - or rather paw - and held my hand in it. He then bend forward and pretended to kiss my hands and swooned backwards. I laughed so hard that I almost doubled over.

When I looked up to Zayd, I saw his smile turned sour. He glared at the lion and pulled my hands away. I stared at his actions in disbelief. Did he just had one of his jealousy moments?

I smiled inwardly as we walked away from the characters. He suggested to get some snacks from the nearby booth. While we were queuing up, my phone rang. I pulled myself aside, out of the queue and answered my phone.

"We were thinking of coming over," Ummi was saying.

"Oh. There's no one at home Ummi. We are all outside."

"You and Raouf?"

"Zayd too," I said smiling, glancing over at them.

"Alhamdulillah. I wanted to check up on you but it seemed that things are going to be fine."

I swallowed hard, my smile gone. If only she knew about the deal. "I got to go Ummi."

After hanging up the phone, my eyes searched for Zayd and Raouf. But something else caught my eyes. My heart stopped and I almost fainted.

-----

A/N: what do you think happened??

Please vote!!