Chapter 2

On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him):
"A man said to the Prophet, 'Give me advice.' The Prophet, peace be upon him, said, 'Do not get angry.' The man asked repeatedly and the Prophet answered each time, 'Do not get angry.'" - Related by Bukhari & Muslim

***

Today would be the tenth day since we had made the deal. From what I have seen so far, there was not much improvement. At this state, I was going to lose the deal.

As stated in the Quran, Surah An-Nisa verse 3, 'And if you fear that you will not deal justly with the orphan girls, then marry those that please you of [other] women, two or three or four'.

Men are allowed to have four wives at one time in Islam. Even so, there was no way in my heart I could accept him marrying another woman.

Yes, I do believe in qada' and qadar, but I just couldn't do it. My heart would not be able to handle the situation strong enough. I would rather be a divorcee than sharing my husband with anyone.

My tears fell down my cheeks when I watched Raouf sleep. We were waiting for Zayd's return from work. Since dinner time I have been trying to call him and text him, but there was no respond. I was dismayed at Zayd's lack of interest in the family. I sighed inwardly as I stroke Raouf's hair.

"Good night little one. May Allah gives us strong iman to overcome this. I love you."

I went out of the room, leaving the small lamp switched on and the doors ajar. Taking a glance at the time, my heart beats nervously. Where could he be? Maybe he was with the woman. I shook my head, trying my best not to imagine them together - eating dinner, laughing, enjoying themselves - while here I was waiting anxiously.

To be frank, I was scared. I was scared that he would leave me for her. People say, even if you're married for 30 years, hearts may change, the wall of love that was built can be shattered just like that.

I sat on the couch with the lights off and 2 Yankee Candle jar lit on the TV console across the room. The smell of lavender fill the air, it made my heart calm.

In spite of the soothing aroma, my mind was brought back to that day went he finally admitted about her.

-----
Flashback

I received an unexpected call earlier on my phone. It was a woman, I know that voice anywhere. It had been haunting me for days. It had been about a week since I accidentally picked up Zayd's private call. I have not bring it up to him yet. He was always busy and does not want to talk about anything with me.

It hurts.

It hurts really bad that after 7 marriage years and 10 years knowing each other, this was the treatment that he was going to give me.

"He belongs to me," she said with venom in her voice.

"I am his wife. I think I am the one who should say that."

She had laughed at my response and purred, "Tsk tsk. You're wrong. I have his heart with me. I'm damn sure he will marry me. He said so himself."

"In your dreams."

I had ended the call and stood at the balcony for a while, still going through our conversation in my mind. Then I decided that today was the day. Today I was going to confront him, no matter what he says to avoid a conversation.

I had send Raouf to my mother's place earlier since my sister's children will be sleeping over there too. Ummi and Abi loves children, they don't mind if we send our kids over for them to look after. My mother used to work as a children caregiver at a local childcare centre, so she had experienced in taking care of more than her 2 daughters.