Chapter 1

Chapter 1

"How much of the tranquilizer did you inject her with?"

"She's been out for most of it.  Two hours, maybe three, tops. Should be coming around real soon."  The second speaker paused, then the tone became hostile. "The little bitch's got attitude that'll need adjusting. Scratched the shit out of my face when I grabbed her, and even bit my arm when I strapped her in the van."

A woman's laughter filled the room.

"Nothing we haven't dealt with before.  Take care of that wound before you return to Level Three, Dougal," she commanded, amused by her companion's aggression. "I'd like to proceed with my work without further delays, and you know the scent of blood will agitate them. Have one of your men prepare the interrogation room on your way there." Anger sharpened the lilt of her voice. "We've contained the security breach for now, but until that woman cooperates we won't know the extent of the damage she's caused.  A second relocation will likely result in the cessation of my project, and I'll be damned if I allow that to happen."

Footsteps shuffled in the room, followed by the sound of a metal door opening.

"You really think that freak-lover will give up the intel we need?" Dougal asked.

"She won't have a choice, will she?" the woman replied. "Call Dr. Rosenburg down here and have her examine the girl. I need a moment to contact Mr. Nicolai in my office."

"Understood."

Once the door closed, and the sound of their muffled voices receded, Paige Evans fought to pry her eyes open but they remained unresponsive. It had been an ongoing battle, a struggle since waking up inside the back of a moving van paralyzed and trapped in darkness.

For the moment, sound was the only sense she could rely on. 

Dougal had been unaware of her conscious state when they'd reached their destination. He'd driven the entire time, so it was likely they were still in California.  At least, she hoped.  Paige had continued to feign sleep when he'd transferred her from the van to wherever she was now. Neither the sterile hospital smell, nor the guttural cry in the distance of someone--or something-- in pain could help Paige figure out where they were keeping her. It did, however, terrify her and with each passing minute her fear increased and settled to an overwhelming degree.

Why had they taken her?

Her clouded mind conjured broken images of the moment she was kidnapped. Paige had been on her way to the music hall again, in preparation for her exam next week.  It was late, well past curfew, but Professor Walters made allowances for his most dedicated students and he'd given Paige permission to use the room at her leisure.

In truth, she had needed solitude and an outlet to dispel her frustration.

Norah had postponed their monthly dinner date- again. Even their video chats had become more infrequent than usual lately, though her mother had made up for it by sending emails on occasion. The dinner she had recently cancelled was meant to celebrate Paige's birthday. Instead, Norah had sent her a gift basket along with a generic card and the words "I'm sorry" scribbled in haste.

I'm sorry.

As if chocolate and a scrap of paper could make up for another broken promise.

On her way to the music hall, Paige had thrown the basket into the nearest dumpster. Guilt plagued her as she walked away from it, but she'd resisted the urge to take it back. Sometimes you had to walk away, or settle for another disappointment.

Walking through the desolate campus at a brisk pace, and feeling disconcerted by the absence of people around her, Paige had a fleeting thought nearing the entrance to the music hall before a large hand clamped over her mouth and something sharp was jabbed into her arm.