Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"You're going to get sick," Paige warned the stubborn male, while she wrestled her curls into an semi-presentable braid.

Shield sat on the bed with a bottle of Slopeside's Rich Grade maple syrup in hand, his attention riveted to the MMA tournament on television—a bloody sport she was not surprised the male enjoyed— while he lapped up the sticky liquid. At her warning, he turned his narrowed gaze in her direction as if daring her to take the delectable treat from him.

"Fine. Don't come crying to me when you get a stomach ache," Paige mumbled, and took a step back to look herself over in the mirror.

She had to admit, Midnight had good taste in clothing. The blouse was pale yellow, with flowy quarter sleeves and an embroidered neckline. A pinched waist design accentuated her feminine shape, while the denim jeans did wonders to her legs and backside. Beneath her clothing, she wore a pink lace bralette with matching underwear, and not for the first time she was thankful Shield had been too distracted earlier by breakfast and T.V. to notice her sneak into the bathroom with the intimates.

With his curious nature, he would've demanded she show him what a bra was used for.

However, when the male had become aware of her absence during the middle of her shower, the locked door had triggered his temper. He'd huffed and growled like the proverbial Big Bad Wolf, threatening to kick the door down if she didn't open it at once. Paige, already in some discomfort from her injuries, had snapped at the male to behave or she'd request to be sent to a separate room—away from him.

Shield had retreated immediately, though she didn't miss the sound of his fist connecting with the wall before he did so.

Paige was just relieved the officers down the hallway hadn't heard the commotion.

The shower lasted at least an hour, though in part she lingered there to teach the male a lesson on propriety. She'd even sung Aretha Franklin's "Respect" at the top of her lungs for good measure. But the moment she stepped out of the bathroom, Shield had scooped her up into his arms and thrust his nose against her neck, inhaling her skin as if his life depended on it. She noticed the dent he'd made on the wall in anger, and remembered how sudden his rage could flare and the damage he was capable of if the impulse took hold of him.

Still, Paige refused to be bullied by the ornery bear.

Once he seemed to gather his composure, Shield had brushed his nose against hers and crooned. She liked the sound of his gruff purr, strange as it was, but she wouldn't let him off the hook that easily. Careful not to break skin, Paige had nipped his nose like she'd seen a mother wolf do to her pup in a nature show. She figured the male's ears could use a break from her reprimand, though perhaps it was time she familiarized herself with bear etiquette instead.

Next time, she'd whack his nose for good measure.

Paige clasped a hairclip to the end of her braid and glanced at the clock on the nightstand. The officer who'd delivered their breakfast earlier in the morning had announced Justice North would arrive by noon to meet with her as requested. She was to be escorted to the recreational area of Reservation, and Paige was glad Shield had been included in that invitation. The male needed to stretch his legs and acquaint himself with his new home. Although, whether invited or not, Paige was certain he would've caused an upheaval to remain by her side.

"It's time to go outside, big guy," Paige said over her shoulder, sliding her feet into a pair of slip-ons.

Shield grabbed the remote and turned the television off, placing the now empty bottle of syrup over the utility cart. He rose to his feet and stretched, allowing Paige a good view of his impressive frame. The clothes Midnight had selected for the male were a perfect fit. The red tank top hugged his solid chest, although he appeared uncertain about the denim jeans he wore. While Paige had assured him many times they hadn't been mauled by a wild animal, he still seemed confused by the notion of deliberately wearing destroyed clothing. She also noticed he'd ignored his boots as he strode to the door, though Paige wouldn't press the issue. For someone who'd been raised as an animal since birth, just the sight of him wearing any decent clothing was an improvement.