Chapter 7 - Devil's Advocate

"You can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re-reading the last one." ~ Huffington Post

Past cannot be forgotten but neither can it be changed; to hold on to it and let it fester like an open wound is to remain stagnant. Sometimes lending a kind ear or a firm hand is enough to keep from being sucked into the deep pool of misery. But some need a good, swift kick in their open wounds to start the healing process; nothing but tough love suffices.

Week 2

Madhu

Dr. Zara Syed steeples her fingers underneath her chin and stares thoughtfully at Madhu. Annoyed and acutely uncomfortable with the doctor's quiet, direct gaze that seems capable of discovering her deep, innermost secret, Madhu glares at Dr. Zara and snaps, "Do you plan on being a mute during the entire session are you actually planning to start your session? I am here at your insistence because I thought I should give you one last chance to prove me wrong. To prove that you are capable of helping me." She laughs derisively, "But I was clearly right from the beginning. You are nothing but a quack."

The doctor stretches her lips into a wide, amused smile, unfazed by the abuses hurled at her by Madhu. She sits forward in the chair and leans her elbows on her knees and asks intently, "Sometimes I like to test my patients to see how they react to the silence."

Madhu mutters under her breath, "All you're doing is testing my patience with your nonsense."

Dr. Zara continues blithely, "In fact, I was hoping that we would take up this opportunity to strike up a conversation. You would bring up your fears, hopes, etc." She sighs dramatically, "Alas you didn't. Things rarely go according to my plan. But that's life right, isn't it? We have to make adjustments, often make compromises. Speaking of compromise Mrs. Kundra, what are your thoughts regarding it? Do you feel angst that as the wife you have had to do the adjustment, make sacrifices?"

RK

The small, quick change in movements are the only indicators he is nervous. The restless energy emanating from his person is palpable. Sitting on the edge of the one sitter sofa, RK glares at Dr. Zara as he yells in frustration, "Why the fuck are you asking me if I am attuned to others emotions? And what the hell does it matter whether I know how to compromise? Why would I know it? I didn't reach my current level of success as a superstar by COMPROMISING but by being assertive and projecting my own vision on to others. That's the key to my success. But why the fuck are we discussing about it? We are HERE TO DISCUSS ABOUT MY BIWI AND HOW THE FUCK I CAN HELP HER TO GET OVER THE LOSS OF OUR CHILD! STOP FUCKING WASTING MY TIME AND TELL ME NOW A PLAN OF ACTION OR I AM WALKING THE FUCK OUT OF HERE. AND I WILL BLOODY DAMNED WELL MAKE SURE NO ONE ELSE FROM WITHIN THE INDUSTRY COMES TO YOU FOR COUNSELING SO YOU CAN'T FUCK WITH THEIR HEADS!"

Dr. Zara leans backwards on to the chair leisurely, her posture screaming nonchalance. She smiles slightly and drawls casually, "I applaud your hard work and dedication to reach the top of your field Mr. Kundra. To become a superstar in this day and age, is nearly impossible yet you did it. That is indeed a big accomplishment."

RK interrupts impatiently, "Tell me something I don't know!"

Dr. Zara continues blithely, "Being implacable, uncompromising perhaps did contribute to your success. But it certainly has not helped your marriage."

Startled, RK exclaims, "Excuse me?!?"

She continues ruthlessly, "Tell me Mr. Kundra. Have you ever had to make any major adjustments in your marriage? Did you ever make any sacrifice for your marriage, for your wife? Didn't you impose your own views and wishes on to her when you demanded she abort your unborn baby? Did you consider her values, her emotions, beyond that of yours? To help your wife, Mr. Kundra, you'll first need to acknowledge that you are flawed, you have many faults and most importantly, that you are not blameless for your wife's current misery."