Chapter 35

I sipped on the hot chocolate, staring on the bottom part of the wall, letting my eye muscles relax and focus on nothing in particular. The heat of the drink seeped through the ceramic glass and onto my fingers and I sighed in exhaustion, untangling one hand from the mug and raised it to my face to try and rub all traces of the worry lines away.

After the two last sleepless nights I had, sleep was catching up on me but I promised Adam that I'll go accompany him to meet up with Carla who's still in the hospital since her vitals weren't showing any signs of improvements and doctors suggested the Jones family to let her stay for some nights to be supervised.

Sleep wasn't an option after what happened three days ago. It didn't help that I have another fight coming up tomorrow. I looked at the clock that was hung on top of the wall across of me and watched the seconds pass by, letting the light tick of it soothe my nerves.

Tick

Tock

Tick

Tock

I saw black dots cloud my vision, my eyelids felt heavier and heavier with every tick and tock. It was the lullaby, luring me into the darkness and convincing my senses to succumb to the drowsiness I felt.

I immediately rested my head on my crossed arms and sighed. My life is so messed up. I can't believe I led them to Adam. God, I'm so stupid.

What does baldy want anyway? He wouldn't be there that night if it was just to fund scowl-face. He has a bigger role in this play and I'm not sure if I want to know.

I scrunched up my face, my head spinning whilst thinking about the odds. Dom's face popped up and it was as if my brain was rewinding what he said.

It was true. Bryant would probably do anything to keep me safe. Could baldy be the person he was keeping me safe from?

This is so messed up.

I groaned audibly when my head starts throbbing and I rubbed my temples with my forefinger. When that didn't work, I gave up and dropped my head on the table. Hard.

"Whoa, careful, you might have a concussion. Didn't your parents tell you that it's not good to bang your head anywhere without a good reason?" Adam exclaimed in surprise once he entered the kitchen. I looked up, my forehead tingling with a pinch of pain and is probably a raw shade of red.

"Sorry, I'm just stressed," I huffed out a breath before feeling an itch in my throat and a cough forced its way out. Adam turned to look at me properly this time and my self-consciousness resurfaced as his eyes roamed my face and eyed my from head to toe before exclaiming, "That's it. We're not going anywhere."

I furrowed my eyebrow, "What? But why? We have to visit your mom, she would want you to visit." I protested without skipping a beat. "And risk you passing out halfway to the hospital? No thank you." He shuffled towards me and helped me out of the stool before I could even object and hauled me onto the couch into the living room.

"Here, I'll be back with some porridge." He didn't even give me time to utter a word before whirling away back to the kitchen.

Wait what?

"You can cook?" I had to raise my voice and there wasn't anyone in the house anyway, I heard a bark of laugh from the kitchen and I huffed under my breath. Well, look at the bright side, at least one of us knows our way in the kitchen.