Chapter 34

I wake up to Steve and Day having a hushed conversation in their bedroom, which is located next to Mandy's room. In my opinion it's almost never a good idea to eavesdrop on something that sounds serious.

Then again, when you hear your name in the conversation, eavesdropping is a better way than barging into their conversation saying, "I hear my name! Why are you talking about me?"

Quieter than a mouse, I leave Mandy's room and tip-toe my way closer to the conversation. "--we'll have to get their permission if we go with your plan," Steve points out. "I know Matthew's parents long enough that they'll do anything to keep their reputation intact."

"If they wanted that, then Holly shouldn't have lost control like she did the night before Matthew had to camp out here, and Irving wouldn't have the affair!" Day argues. "I doubt either one of them gives a damn about keeping their eldest happy."

I'm about to take a step forward when I inadvertently stub my toe against the wall. "Shit!" I mutter under my breath. "Fucking hell." I rub my sore toe, attempting to massage the pain away. This leads to the adults falling silent.

"What was that banging sound?" Josh opens his door, wearing nothing but his boxers and scratching at his scalp. He squints at me in confusion. "You?"

I don't bother whispering. The parents already know I'm up. "Yeah," I say.

Grunting in response, Josh slowly goes back to his room to get dressed. Not finding the point in doing so myself, I go downstairs instead to snatch some cookies Mandy was making last night. I don't care what anyone says, Mandy's baked goods is worth getting smacked in the head if she so happens to catch me red-handed.

Josh thumps downstairs in his clothes. He zips past me to get his own cookies. "Anything new going on?" he muffles around one of the cookies.

Getting some milk out, I say, "Your parents were discussing about me." I pour some into a clean glass from the dishwasher.

"Like what?"

I shrug. "You know as much as I do. I think my parents have to be involved, though."

Josh chokes. I raise a hand and am close to hitting on his back when he dodges from me. He pauses to take some huge deserving breaths. "They may as well mix some water with a fuck load of hot oil," he exaggerates. "And even that wouldn't make as big an explosion as your parents."

"Noticed." Not knowing what to say, I consume my "breakfast" until I'm full of sugary stuff and dairy product. "Hopefully if it ever happens, at least something good will come out of it."

"For you or for the parents?"

"I have no idea, to be honest." I pause. "I didn't see Mandy in her room."

Josh reaches for another cookie. "She's doing some kind of errands for God-knows-what. Frankly, I'm just happy she's not denying me access to these." For effect he crams the whole treat into his mouth.

I make a face. "That's a little disturbing," I say.

He snickers. "You think it's impressive," he says.

"Mmm, I'm thinking about it, I've thought about it, and I'm still disturbed."

Snickering again, Josh grabs his backpack nearby. After a moment of shuffling through the contents, he stands up, realizing something. "It's Saturday," he states. Immediately he puts the backpack down and goes to the living room to watch some TV. I roll my eyes, but don't say anything.

I plan to go to the library to hang out and read. And possibly find some fashion magazines suitable for me. It'd get me thinking about something else for a while. Besides, I need to start finding some cute skirts.

I grab my shoes and start putting them on. "Matthew, can you wait for a bit?" Day asks, coming down the stairs behind me.

Biting back a sigh, I stand up. Hopefully she doesn't ask me to walk around; there's no way in hell I'm going to trip over the untied laces. "Yeah, what's going on?" I ask, turning to meet her gaze.

She seems nervous as both she and Steve descend down the stairs. Steve speaks up first. "We think it'd be best if you're under our guardianship for a while," he says.

Oh. So that's what they were talking about earlier this morning. I take a seat in the kitchen. So does Day. "For how long?" I ask.

Sensing something serious going on, Josh quietly moves from the living room and sits down next to me. I don't know if the reason is so he knows what's going on or so I don't have to feel like I'm facing something serious alone. Either way, I'm glad he's decided not to leave.

"At least until you're 18," Day answers my question. When the silence goes on for too long, she continues, "I--we, don't think it's okay for you to stay here as a visitor, wondering when it's safe to come home. You're underage and in high school, and we figure you'd like to stay here and graduate with your friends and be with your sister.

"Not only with those in mind, but who knows when Holly or Irving will get their parental act together? Or when they'll accept you as who you are?" I stare at her, wondering why the hell she hasn't thought up of making a career as a . . . someone who's only duty is debate. That probably narrows down to politics and law.

I slouch in my chair. "If you think that's the best for now, then . . . " I trail off, but Day and Steve get what I'm saying.

Day smiles. "Good," she says. Standing up, she adds, "If you don't mind, I'll be making a few calls." Steve goes to another room for something and Day gets her purse for her phone.

I get up again, only to have Josh ask, "Got any plans today?"

Moving my head in a 'I did but now I'm not sure' way (don't ask me how anyone cant get that message from one head movement), I grab my own phone from my pocket and check for messages. Kelly's texted me a couple of times to tell me things that went on at home, either good or bad. I smile at her attempt to make me feel relaxed, despite the fact I can't look out for her now.

"Wanna hang out with me and Gwen? We can go to a bowling alley or something," Josh suggests.

"That sounds awesome."

Josh raises an eyebrow. "I'm sensing a but."

"But Kelly," I say.

He lets out the most martyr-sounding sigh I've ever heard from anyone. "Fine. You can bring your bratty sibling if you feel the need to."

I smirk in amusement. "Like you're Mandy's bratty sibling?" I ask.

"Shut up."