Chapter Twenty-Five: First Job

A/N: Hey...so I haven't been able to update as much as I wanted to...something happened in my personal life that's just made me feel really lousy and it's made want to just sit in a corner and cry out of frustration and hurt and anxiety...it's just overwhelming. But I didn't want it to affect me so much that I just shut down completely so I hope to have at least one or two more chapters up before I'm forced onto a 10 day family trip to see relatives in a few days. I'd rather not, but I have to :/

----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Twenty-Five: First Job

My eyes snap open from a shallow sleep as the doors automatically open (and I checked, I was locked in here without a key and the touchpad goes 'access denied' so I gave up, sat on the floor and fell asleep) to see a dark blob in the doorway and painful bright light as the backdrop. At first I thought that someone was going to kill me but my body was slow from exhaustion and the battering and the bruising, so moving wasn't a liable option. Plus Lady is using me as her pillow again with her head on my stomach as she continued to sleep.

As the shadow came closer, their features became a bit clearer. "Chief wants you." It's that brat Mike. "Get up already."

I wanted to say something sarcastic but he had a big shiny gun in his hands and it looked like he was twitching to point it at me and blow my brains out. Instead, I push on Lady's head and she immediately awoke. Confusion smacked my brain first as she looked around, obviously forgetting where we were. As she tries to find herself, I painfully get up, my bones even crack as I make the ascent.

I stumble after Mike as he glares over his shoulder at me when we come to the lift.

"Am I going to be told what's happening or are we keeping it a surprise?" I try to ask anyway.

Mike chose to ignore me. Yep. Surprise. I just love those!

We hope onto the lift in silence. My eyes feel scratchy as I try to rouse myself from this bone-weary exhaustion that I don't remember having. Maybe I was on pain-meds and I didn't even realise it and now they've worn off cos I can so feel every freaking muscle burning and the shoulder ached with a vengeance. I could go back to sleep just standing here, despite this. I am that tired.

"You were sleeping on the floor." Mike murmurs and I almost lost the words.

"...I didn't even realise I went to sleep." That much was true. After looking around the room and trying to get Lady out of the shower and found that like her regular cousins; she really loves water. I sat on the fluffy rug and the next thing I knew it, I was out.

"Outsiders..."he mutters under-breath.

My eyes slide over to him, "You have a problem with me being from the outside?"

He went back to ignoring me. I felt my anger bristle at this hostile welcome I've been getting since I first met Fenir. I shut my eyes and exhale, there isn't any point in getting upset. Like with Fenir and Rain, I was just going to have to get over this. My memory flashes back to the last fight I had with Cody. It felt like a lifetime ago. Calling me what these people are, 'Civs'. I look to the side, suppressing the mix of dejection and futility that's bubbling up my throat again. All I wanted to do was break down and howl out my lungs.

The painful silence broke when the doors finally opened to the floor I was sort of familiar with. There were way more people clustering together in the halls this time around. The air was much colder and still then I remembered. It's night. I don't know how I knew that but I just did. The air felt too quiet. I frown at the feeling of how different the air felt between my fingers.