Epilogue: XXI

A/N: Song

Imperium by Alan Crown

-------------------------------------------

Epilogue: XXI

"You are aware of the current situation?" Ulysses had called Hyde into a private talking chamber for any information he had found. Hyde was rather nervous these last few hours and he was wanting to get it out of him before he sets off a stroke or something.

Hyde taps at a holographic screen that lit up the table in front of them in the small room, "Sir, there are reports that the recent activity in Bolin suddenly...ceased."

"Can you say how?"

"Negative. We cannot find any evidence...at all."

"Then, for them to cover it up this quickly... It doesn't add up. It's completely is suspicious. They're hiding something...they are being far too quiet for something of this...complexity, to be silent."

"They're always hiding something, sir."

"We all are." General Foster interrupts the briefing as he walks in through the door. "Please, relax," he puts up a hand to stop them from standing.

"What brings you here, sir?" Ulysses still stood straight from his chair.

"I've brought a new recruit. Showing him around," Foster smiles, his honey coloured eyes showed a certain interest as he motions towards the door. "Come on in, lad."

A boy with piercing blue eyes walks through the door. A scar ran down the side of his face from his brow to just under his chin. His body, under his clothes held pure sinew, showing speed and strength.

"This is Twenty-One. Twenty-One."

Twenty-One stood in perfect attention towards him, "Sir?"

"These fine gentlemen are your direct superiors for any of the missions assigned to you. This is Captain Hyde and Commandant Ulysses."

Hyde and Ulysses nodded in turn back to him.

Ulysses was the first to move towards him, his own blue eyes were darker and cloudy in comparison, "He had no official name?"

Foster's grin widens, "No...he is a special case. But he is quick and showing promise. He is a very fast learner and completed the initial training within a week. ...We are discovering some amazing abilities within him. He may yet prove to be something that could give the old Syndrome R or even IRS's Subject Ten a run for their money. He is very...pliable, resourceful and very good at following orders. We may have lost Bellasera, but I think he will make up for this tenfold when we found him."

Hyde gives Ulysses a look but Ulysses pretended to ignore it as he directly looks at Twenty-One, "Boy. Can you tell me what our purpose is?"

"Yessir," Twenty-One nods once, "To protect and serve."

"Anything else?"

"Destroy all threats. No matter what form it may take and utilise whatever means necessary to protect and ensure peace."

Seemingly satisfied with his response, Ulysses steps around him, looking at him closely. "Do you have any family?"

"No, sir. This is my family, sir."

Hyde's eyebrow arches as he looks over at Foster.

Foster saw the look, "He has no memory beyond a few months ago. He woke up like this but other than that, there are no other issues."