Chapter 1: Wicked Tongue

*See character list in previous chapter*

HEY, REAPERS! *waves frantically*

Don't forget to vote, leave feedback, and share this story with your friends!! 

* * *

Being held by the corpse of a mythical fallen angel, who was currently controlled by some external force, was certainly not the most relaxing experience of my life.

But hey, at least he wasn't trying to eat me.

Death's corpse's pierced tongue flicked out and traced my lips, tasting the saltiness of my skin, and warmth spread throughout my body.

Christ on a cracker, I was getting turned on by a monster. How could I not? The guy was hot, even when he'd had a cloak covering every muscular inch of him. Now I could actually see some freaking skin. Well, the skin around Death's silver mask, that had been beneath that cloak all along, was absolute perfection. Michelangelo himself carved his straight nose and angular his jaw, which was shadowed with dark, delicious stubble. His lips were full and had two silver hoop piercings. This is not him, I kept reminding myself, and tore my gaze away from the empty beast. Still, I felt torn between leaning into his wicked touch and cringing back because my life was endangered.

The audience surrounding us, filled with humans and creatures with illusions, looked confused at what was happening. Some of them, I overhead, thought this was another act. This was not an act. My life was in the hands of a hungry, immortal monster and I was helpless.

Well, maybe I wasn't. I had that crazy laser beam power that I had no fucking control over. And apparently, I could access

"Freeze the humans! Nobody moves!" I heard Devin Star, aka Lucifer (I was still getting used to this), bark from the edge of the crowd. His tanned, flawless facial features were carved into concern. "Everything's going to be alright, Faith." He started to edge towards us. "Just don't... move."

Death's corpse turned over his shoulder and hissed at Devin, making Lucifer himself stop in his tracks. Death had massive fangs that were like white daggers, and I didn't want to think about what he used them for. Letting out another warning hiss in Devin's direction, he grabbed the back of my neck with one clawed hand and took me with him to another area of the dance floor. His cheekbones, covered with thick costume makeup, seemed to sharpen as he scanned the rest of the audience. Someone had taken the time to get him into costume and hide his body from plain sight. This was planned. I was captured in plain sight by Death's body and now he seemed to be...waiting...for orders.

Up close, his eyes were too alien and terrifying to be real. They were almond shaped with two mismatched iridescent irises, minty green and a deep emerald. His pupils were thin and slanted vertically like a cat's. Those eyes had haunted my dreams and my nightmares before and now they were too close, rapidly dilating as he stared unblinkingly at me, like a predator who was pleased with his catch.

"Death," I whispered to the beast in front of me, my voice slightly trembling. "It's Cupcake. Remember me?" His pupils swelled as I spoke and he inclined his head, listening intently. "I know someone is controlling you right now, but you don't have to hurt me. I'm your friend. We're friends. Kinda..."

Vacant Death's chest vibrated and he leaned into inhale again at my throat. When I tried to move my head away and felt those claws unhappily dig a little into my skin. He growled, real low in his throat, and the whooshing in my ears became deafening.

In that moment, I realized as horrifyingly beautiful as Death's eyes were, they were absolutely lifeless and empty because Death's soul was not in his body. I had a gut feeling that, whoever did have control over Death's body, wasn't giving it demands at moment. Which meant that whatever part of Death was left over right now, as he was holding me at the center of the dance floor, was purely animal. And hungry. And there he was, holding me captive and practically basing and seasoning me with his tongue in preparation for an evening Faith roast.