2.4

CHAPTER FOUR

Iron Man

- - - - -

After Maria pointed her to her new, temporary room, Ana thanked the Commander and entered the free space, immediately spotting her new uniform that was neatly folded on the table positioned in the centre of the room. She closed the metal door behind her for privacy and walked over to the table, letting her hands touch the black fabric. She smiled, Fury must have listened to her this time when she asked for less Natasha and more Clint. She didn't like the way her old suit was so tight she could barely breathe, with this new one it was more loose fitting.

Ana held it up and nodded approvingly. "Sweet."

She didn't waste any time and changed into it, placing her previous outfit on the single bed. As she walked over to the small bathroom, she tied her hair into a high ponytail and looked in the mirror. She furrowed her eyebrows, leaning closer when she saw a glow of silver in her eyes. She blinked, shaking her head and looked back to see her normal hazel eyes.

Ana let out a breath and reached out for her gloves when she felt energy pool around in her palms. She gasped then unintentionally shot out a silver pulse of energy, hitting the glass of water off the metal sink. She cringed when it shattered to pieces of the floor, and glanced at her palms.

"What the hell?" She whispered, eyes wide. She slowly lifted her hands seeing the silver light fade as if it was never there in the first place. The door to her room opened and she clenched her fists, dropping them to her sides. She walked out of the bathroom, closing the door behind her to conceal the broken glass.

"Steve." She acknowledged, somewhat confused.

Steve was fiddling with his new helmet, and Ana began to smile when she realised he was already in his new uniform. He tried to hide his own smile, but failed when Ana clasped her hands together, placing them underneath her chin. She had a look of pure admiration in her eyes. Growing up, Steve Rogers was someone Ana looked up to. He was a big part of her interest in history, and seeing the real thing standing in front of her was a moment she would never forget. Steve recognised the look in her eye, and smiled to himself.

"How's the suit?" Steve questioned, opening his hands at his sides.

"I think Phil knew what he was doing. You look great, Cap." Ana said truthfully.

Steve ducked his head, smoothing down the material on his chest with one hand. "Thank you. We've got a mission. Stuttgart, Germany. It's Loki." He said, facing hardening slightly.

"Really, Germany? What's he doing there?" She asked as she cleared her throat, shakily handling her daggers.

Steve noticed this and looked at her with concern. "Hey, are you okay?" He asked.

Ana nodded giving him a reassuring smile. "I'm fine. Come on, let's go." She quickly placed her weapons in the pouch attached to her thigh and walked out with Steve.

"It feels good to wear the uniform again." Steve muttered, glancing at the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents that passed him, sporting similar looks of admiration Ana had given him seconds ago.

Before Ana could reply, Natasha shimmied her way in-between them at looked at her partner with a smirk, giving her a once-over. "Nice suit. You told Fury to make it less tight, huh?" She asked when she pulled at the material.

Ana blushed and swatted her hands away. "Any louder, Nat?" She whispered when Steve cleared his throat awkwardly.

Natasha just flipped her red hair and tugged at her gloveless hands. "Mr. America doesn't mind. Where are your gloves?" She asked.