2.5

CHAPTER FIVE

He's Adopted

- - - - -

HELLICARRIER

"In case it's unclear..."

Director Fury stood in front of the large, glass cell Loki had been sealed into after Steve, Tony and Thor realised fighting each other would prove useless and time wasting. Thor agreed to hand over Loki, tagging along to keep an eye on his brother, and to better understand the crisis the group were trying to solve. Nick walked along the catwalk that connected to the glass cell, up to the control panel. Loki had eyes eyes on him, closely observing the Director. He then stepped back into the middle of the caged glass, listening as Nick continued.

"You try to escape, you so much as scratch that glass." Nick pressed a button which opened up a hatch underneath Loki's cell. Loki peered as much as he could down the side of the glass cell. Without seeing much, the sounds of gusting wind gave him the image he needed.

"Thirty thousand feet, straight down in a steel trap!" Nick said. "You get how that works?" He closed the hatch and pointed at Loki. "Ant." He then pointed at the button which can drop Loki. "Boot."

Loki let out an amused chuckle. "It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me." He said, walking backwards.

"Built for something a lot stronger than you." Nick remarked.

"Oh, I've heard." Loki smirked, glancing up at the camera in his cell, knowing that his enemies would be watching. And they were watching, sitting at a briefing table and listening to the conversation between the two men below them. Ana sat next to Natasha, both of them watching their shared monitor intently. They were desperate to get their partner back. They needed Clint safe.

"A mindless beast, makes play he's still a man." Loki continued. "How desperate are you? That you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?"

"How desperate am I?" Fury echoed, scoffing. He stepped closer to the cell and stared Loki down with his one eye. "You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did."

"Ooh..." Loki whispered. "It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract. To have power — unlimited power. And for what?" He smiled, and turned to stare at them through the camera again. "A warm light for all mankind to share... and then to be reminded what real power is." Loki turned back to face Fury.

Nick glared at him, not saying another word. He had enough. He turned to walk around and head back to the bridge. "Well, let me know if real power wants a magazine or something."

The monitors on the table disappeared, leaving the group to collect their thoughts. Ana looked up and leaned against her seat, still stunned by Loki's words. A part of her felt capturing Loki was too easy. "He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce asked, breaking the silence.

"Loki's gonna drag this out." Steve said and looked up at Thor, who stood in front of the table, arms crossed over his chest. "So, Thor, what's his play?"

Thor had been very silent, probably thinking about Loki and what his plan was. "He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard, nor any world known. He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth. In return, I suspect, for the Tesseract." Thor explained, turning to face the table.

"An army." Steve repeated, "From outer space."

"So he's building another portal." Bruce concluded, taking off his glasses. "That's what he needs Eric Selvig for."