A Sound in the Night (10)

I would like to thank everyone for reading the whole story so far! I was delighted when I saw 70 whole reads on chapter nine! I have some real loyal peeps here! Thx guys!

I am getting an average 200 to 300 reads every time I update overall so thanks for all the support!

Please comment and vote!

Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Jolty movements underneath me woke me from my restless slumber. My eyes opened wearily and squinted when the bright light greeted them. I craned my neck slightly, blinking again and again as the scene began to focus.

A shiver flew up my spine as I realised how cold I was finding that I was soaked to the bone. There was an unpleasant smell in the air like wet fur or animal and the taste of smoke lingered in the air.

Finally the scenery around me focused and the brightness dimmed to reveal a patchwork of fields, stretching as far as the eye could see in an array of different greens and browns. The sky was a dull grey and whatever could be seen of the sun seemed to be peeping through the clouds shyly, reluctant to share any of its little warmth.

A large buzzard glided overhead, observing the scene bellow with its keen eyes as its golden feathers coloured the dull sky warmly. The creature blurred as it dived into a dark silhouette, disappearing into the trees of the valley below and in that instant, the dreary atmosphere took over.

My chest heaved heavily, exhaustion peeling inside of me as I began to drift back into sleep.

Just as my consciousness was about to abandon me, a huge jolt brought me back to reality and then the feeling of being tilted backwards sent my heart racing.

I screamed as I fell away from whatever I had been holding on to and let out a pained cry when I landed on hard ground. My body began to roll making my arms and legs grovel for a grip on anything at hand but they were useless.

“Isabelle!” I heard someone yell, making me all the more confused as I knew of no Isabelle but before I could even try to think, something hit my head and my mind blanked out completely…

***

This time, the horrible aching in my head woke me from the restless slumber and when I opened my eyes, I stared straight into the bright green ones of Nathan, looking even wilder and brighter than before. He let out a sigh of relief and smiled at me.

“What happened?” I croaked, wincing at how sore and dry my throat was.

When he did not answer, I looked away and stared up at the sky which was now the deepest shade of navy blue and sprinkled with stars. I remembered dully how I could never see stars in the city of my old planet as the city light blocked it all from the naked eye’s view and smiled at the odd beauty of them. I sighed, a wave of sadness washing over me as I thought of my old planet. Though it held many problems, it had security. I was lost here in a different planet, different country and different time.

I felt Monique’s weak attempts to break through the barrier I found I had built in between our consciousness’s and slowly let the wall break away. As soon as I did so, a wave of urgent thoughts brushed into my mind, filling me with a blur of words and thoughts.

 What happened? You drifted off and I tried to wake you then you nearly feel off but Nathan caught you then we were riding again and then you woke, and-

Wait a minute Mon! Just tell me why my head hurts would you? I groaned mentally, frowning slightly at the new nickname.

She sighed in my mind and took a deep breath before beginning.