Chapter 5 - A Cold, Wet Idiot

I don't really sleep much that night. This is the first time I've actually been around people for a whole day since this all started, so it's pretty weird. And I also don't really trust them yet.

Well, Seth seems okay, but he could be putting on an act. Kacey's okay.

Doyle, on the other hand, is slightly creepy. He and I just stare at each other for most of the night. I don't think he likes me very much. I fed you, man. R.E.S.P.E.C.T. the meal-bringer.

In the morning, we ration the food and water. We can only eat one pack of crackers a day. Crackers one day, a candy bar the next. One bottle of water a day. They have a paper cup to pour Kacey's water into.

I give Seth and Kacey a toothbrush. Doyle said he didn't want one by shoving the one I handed him into Seth's hand. I tell them it's the middle of October, according to my calendar.

I let them know I have a compass. And that's when Seth brings up something very important.

"You remember those creeps that we escaped from?" He says to me as we walk side by side, Kacey on his back, her head resting on his shoulder; she's sleeping.

"How could I forget?" I shudder at the thought of them.

"I heard them talking about a safe haven, just north of here."

"Really?" I didn't know there were such things anymore.

"Yeah, they were discussing whether or not to try to raid it for supplies, but decided against it," Seth says, hoisting Kacey up a little as she slides down his back.

"What about this 'safe haven'?" I'm intrigued.

"Maybe we could go there. They were talking about how there was medicine and shelter," Seth looks at me, hope filling his eyes, "Maybe the people there could help Kacey."

"I don't know," I shake my head, "It could be a trap."

"I know, but, we kind of need a plan," He says.

"Well, you'll have to ask Doyle, but I guess we could go look at it from a distance and see if it seems okay."

Seth nods, "Okay," he glances back at Doyle, "and one of us can ask him later when we stop."

I look back at Doyle, and he looks extra grumpy. Yeah, I think it'll be a better idea to leave him to his thoughts.

                       +++++

Judging by the sun it's around noon when we stop. We've been on the road since just after dawn, and I'm already exhausted.

We had crackers yesterday, so I pull a candy bar from my backpack, break it in half, and hand the two pieces to Seth and Kacey.

I break another bar and offer the slightly-larger part to Doyle. He looks at it for a second, looks at me, then reaches out and snatches the smaller half from me. Before I can protest, he stuffs it in his mouth, then walks a short distance away and sits on the grass.

We're on a hill, beside a back road that surprisingly doesn't have a thousand cars on it. The view from where I stand is magnificent. You know, if you like a bunch of random mountains filled with a wide array of autumn colors, of course. I sure do.

The wind is blowing, and the temperature has dropped since yesterday. The sky is beginning to get overcast, and I'm just hoping it won't rain.

I look at Seth. "Why did he do that?" I know Doyle loves to eat, and I don't think he likes me, so why would he let me have the bigger half?