Chapter 2 - Escape [republish]

Someone said they couldn't see the chapter, so I republished it. Hopefully this will help. :)

I clutch the Glock in my hands as if it's my lifeline. Oh wait, it is.

He's still coming, slowly but steadily. I take my eyes off him long enough to glance up at Gross-Beard, who doesn't even notice his (I assume) prisoner is escaping.

It's completely dark outside now. Oh, if only there were a window in this bathroom, I could totally get away.

Brad and Greasy are still punching each other, yelling more insults than I knew even existed. Educational.

The prisoner is scooting closer, closer, closer....

"Hey!" Baldy, who was on the far side of the room, looking through boxes, stomps toward us, "He's awake."

The prisoner gets on his hands and knees, keeps moving, scrambles to his feet, starts running toward my door. Gross-Beard lunges forward and socks the guy in the ear, "I don't think so."

The prisoner falls to his knees, blood starting to trickle out of his ear. I cover my mouth with my hand. The prisoner is so close, he could hear me breathe. He's staring right at the crack between door and frame, almost like he can see me.

Brad and Greasy stop fighting. Eye-Patch and Dreads come back into view. Gross-Beard grabs the guy's arms and drags him into the middle of the room, holding a pistol to his head.

"So," Gross-Beard addresses his group, who has gathered in a circle around him and the prisoner, "Should I just shoot this bastard," he presses the gun deeper into the prisoner's temple, the prisoner wincing, trying to free his arms from Gross-Beard's grasp, "Or should we get some information out of him?"

"Information," Dreads says, and the others agree.

Gross-Beard hands his gun to Baldy, then grabs hold of the prisoner's shaggy black hair, and yanks his head up. "Where's your camp?" Shaggy doesn't answer. Gross-Beard thunders the question again, pulling the hair more.

When Shaggy still doesn't answer, Gross-Beard throws him onto the floor and proceeds to hit him in the teeth and kick him in the stomach. Shaggy stands on all fours, wheezing. Blood and saliva leak from his mouth, he's coughing, and I think one of his top teeth is missing. Gross-Beard grabs him by the hair again, yanks him around to face everyone, crouches down beside him and gets in his face. "Where is your camp? Is that what you were doing, going through our stuff? Getting supplies for your camp?"

Shaggy, his teeth pink with blood, laughs. It's not exactly one of those creepy, nut-case laughs from horror movies, but it's not pleasant, either.

Apparently the laughing angers Gross-Beard, because he starts beating Shaggy up again. This continues for who knows how long, Shaggy holding up pretty well, but even I can see he's getting weaker. Finally, they just fling him over by my door. Baldy says they'll finish him in a minute.

Shaggy's lying unconscious right below me. I crouch down to get a closer look at him. His whole face is covered in blood – I'm pretty sure they broke his nose – and he is missing a tooth. But from what I can tell, he's not much older than me.

All of a sudden, his eyes abruptly open, and look right into mine. I back away from the door, gasping. I'm against the far wall when he's pushing the door open and crawling in.

I hear Eye-Patch say something, then Dreads says, "Don't worry, I checked the outside, there ain't no other way outta there."

"We'll just bring him back out later," Baldy says.