Chapter 7 - "I'm Not Gay."

Chapter 7

•Ethan's POV•

"Pssss!" There was a tap on my shoulder. I swiveled on my stool to see America sitting at the table behind us, with some girl I haven't seen before. "Hi!" she said, resting her chin in her hands, her elbows supporting her arms.

"Since when were you in this class?" I ask.

She smiles. "Since the start of the class. I just didn't want to interrupt you and your boyfriend." She wiggles her eyebrows suggestively towards Jake's back, sitting next to me. He was still copying down the last of the notes from the board, while America and I had already finished.

Jake turns around on his stool. "Did someone say boyfriend?" Jake says, casually draping his arm over my shoulders as if we've been dating for months.

I rolled my shoulders, and eyes. Jake got the hint that I didn't like what he was doing and took his arm off, reluctantly. "You are not my boyfriend, and I'm not gay," I said, giving Jake a look, then America. America got the hint that I didn't want Jake to know - even though he basically already knows. She most likely heard our conversation from before. I mean, who didn't?

"So," Jake says. "Are you gonna come and sit with me and the boys at lunch?" He asks me, swiveling on his stool a bit. The boys? "There'll be room for both of you." He smiles at America. Not the same smile he shows me all the time, but genuine.

I take a bit to think about it. I mean, I've never really been friends with any guys before, Jake being my first. "Sure," I say, shrugging. "I mean," I direct towards America. "It's gotta be better than sitting on the bleachers."

America seems reluctant enough, close to declining the offer, until I say, "please?"

She sighs, running a hand through her hair, throwing it all back, and says, "yeah, whatever."

I clap my hands like the little gay boy I am.

"Awesome," Jake says, a huge grin forming. "We'll go there as soon as the bell rings." With that, me and Jake both turn around to face the board as Miss calls everyone to attention.

"Alright," Miss says, "we'll be picking our lab partners before the bell rings. You'll be stuck with that partner until the end of the term. Once your name is down on the sheet, along with the partner, you can't change."

Jake's arm immediately hooks with mine. "I'VE GOT ETHAN!" He practically screams.

"Jesus!" I hear America swear behind me.

A few students jump in their seats a bit, while others heads just jerk in our direction. Then, almost all of them roll their eyes at Jake, including America. Jake isn't that out there that everyone is use to his antics, is he?

I don't get a chance to protest before Jake drags me out of my seat and pulls to the front of the class. He writes his name down on the sheet, followed by his signature. Then, he writes down my first name. "What's your last name?" He asks, not turning from the sheet of paper.

"Ryder. With a y," I say, a little nervously.

Jake turns to me then, his eyes glinting with something - lust? He bites his bottom lip. "That's hot," he says, his voice a little husky.

I roll my eyes. Seriously?

He turns back to the sheet, his form hunched, while he writes down my last name. But he writes it as 'Rider with a y'. "That's not my last name," I say.

He says, "I know, it's just cute." Then, to be an ass, he adds an extra-large, extravagant curlicue to the 'y'. He puts the pen down, turns to me, and smiles a huge, wide, white smile. "Sign here, please," he says - as if I'm signing a divorce paper, and he's the excited husband that can't wait to get out of the relationship - tapping the pen on the sheet of paper where I have to sign.